• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd is at that age...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

that she has been invited to a friend's house.  She is 5 and the only place she ever goes is my parent's or my in-laws.  I don't know why I am soo nervous.  I have talked to the little girls mom may times and she seems super nice.  But I don't really know her all that well.  My dd is really shy at school so I don't want to keep her from hanging out with her little friend.  I know it's probably silly but sitting here thinking about it makes me want to cry! 

Figured I should add that it's not to stay the night.  Just like an hour or so after school. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I wait until my kids are 8 to allow sleepovers, unless with a family member, or close family friend. I personally feel 5 is a little young. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Oh, I guess I should have said it's not a sleepover.  Just a visit after school. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I wait until my kids are 8 to allow sleepovers, unless with a family member, or close family friend. I personally feel 5 is a little young. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I don't even know why I thought it read sleepover. My brain is tired. What are you worried about? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, I guess I should have said it's not a sleepover.  Just a visit after school. 

Quoting Anonymous:

calvinsmommy18
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
maybe you could go along? and then you might feel better about it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Could you just explain to the mom that your daughter is a little shy, and you would feel more comfortable getting together with you and her for the first couple of times until you all get to know each other better? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM
For the first time just go along. Hang out with the mom. Get to know her and maybe after a few visits you will be ok with leaving her. This is how I made some of my best mom friends
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Honestly, I am not even sure.  I guess because it's something new.  She has never been to a friend's house besides a friend of mine that has kids but I was there with her.  Hopefully after the first time it will get easier, lol.  I'm like wondering if I should give my dd a phone to take with her in case she needs to call me or something.  I don't know how to do these things...

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't even know why I thought it read sleepover. My brain is tired. What are you worried about? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I think that is what I will have to do.  I am pretty socially awkward so I am not good with things like this in general but I don't have much of a choice anymore, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

For the first time just go along. Hang out with the mom. Get to know her and maybe after a few visits you will be ok with leaving her. This is how I made some of my best mom friends

Tara922c
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Why don't you ask the mom if you can come too? I would offer to bring Starbucks or something so the two of you can talk while the girls play. My dd is only 5 and I would have a hard time leaving her, for even an hour, if I did not know the mom very well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Personally, at 5, I would like to know the family a little better. That is not terribly over-protective, and understandable. Just meet with them a couple of times before having her go without you. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, I am not even sure.  I guess because it's something new.  She has never been to a friend's house besides a friend of mine that has kids but I was there with her.  Hopefully after the first time it will get easier, lol.  I'm like wondering if I should give my dd a phone to take with her in case she needs to call me or something.  I don't know how to do these things...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)