Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter is going to be ten soon and doesn't want a sleep over for her birthday?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter has made a lot of friends this year but she turns down going to sleep overs and hasn't asked me to let any of her friends come over for a sleep over. Her cousin who is 6 months older stays regularly and she goes there a lot.

When I suggested a sleep over for her birthday she said no that she didn't want to have to deal with any grumpy friends in the morning or with girls who had nightmares but then my husband pointed out that our three youngest still wake up in the night and cry. I asked if that's what was making her hesitate and she said no. I asked her if it's because I sleep naked (I wouldn't if her friends were over, I'd have on pajamas) and she said no. I really think it's odd that a 10 year old girl doesn't want to do sleepovers (either going to her friends houses or having them over). Is this odd to anyone else?

We don't have money to do something outside the home like a pool party (one of her friends is having one the week before my daughter's birthday) or a skating party. She says she wants her friends to come over for a couple hours the day of her birthday, which is a Sunday and then she wants them to go home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not keen on having a bunch of 10 year old girls over for the night, but for my daughter's birthday I could handle it and have fun. I'm just worried she's embarrassed by something in our home or about herself--maybe that she talks in her sleep?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM

nah because I would sleep over my friends house but wouldnt actually sleep.  i would stay up all night because I didnt feel comfortable sleeping in a strange home.  I guess I always was a night owl...Maybe take a few 7 maximum to a skating rink or the movies or bowling?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Good for her. Idk, we haven't gotten there yet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:28 AM

lol i sleep naked too!

honestly, she just might not like sleeping at other people's homes, or having people at her home. i'm the same way... DS stays at his grandma's house a couple times, and they always ask if i want to stay there too. i LOVE hanging out with them-- but i canNOT sleep in someone else's house. i just cant. i've always been this way. last time i had a sleep over, i was like 7.

RayneofTerror
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I didn't care for sleep over when I was younger. I enjoyed them in high school more, but only one friend at a time and I had to know them well. 

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:32 AM

If what she wants is to have some friends over for a couple hours then just do that. Ask her what else she wants to do...play games,watch a movie,maybe do manicures?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:33 AM

This. I hated sleepovers when I was younger. However they were great when I was a teen :) 

Quoting RayneofTerror:

I didn't care for sleep over when I was younger. I enjoyed them in high school more, but only one friend at a time and I had to know them well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Why does her not wanting a sleepover mean she's embarrassed? Trust what she says. She may change her mind as she gets older.
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:34 AM
She might just not want her friends over that long. I was never much for sleepovers either, why not ask her what would be fun for her birthday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alejandra10
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM
I never likes sleep overs never host one and in my whole life I only had one sleep over and that was with my best friend but just me and her. I was not ashamed of anything I just didn't like sleeping with other people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I had friends had troubles sleeping over at peoples houses and having people over becuase they were just homebodies and didn't like the extra people over

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN