Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How on earth do you ERF past age 1? ***UPDATE AFTER TRYING IT***

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm asking because it seriously doesnt make any sense to me. We have 2 different styles of carseats for both girls. and even my youngest hasnt been able to RF since she was 1. Is is our car seats? We just go off of the state requirement for weight and age. My oldest is 3 and 40 inches tall. Youngest is 15 months and 30 inches tall.

We have these carseats for each girl:

They go up to 65 pounds, which in our state is over the requirements for a child restraint being needed. they both say they can rear face to 40 pounds, but both my girls forward faced at a year because their legs were so smooshed.

Is there special car seats for ERF or is just whatever your child can fit safely in until their legs are too long?

***So I tried rearranging somethings in the car to rear face both girls and the 3 year was a little uncomfortable and whined for a little bit. But then she said she was ok after all. Our youngest feel asleep on a 4 minute drive from Walmart to our home. I'm a fan now! I was just always told it was a bad idea so I never gave it much thought!****

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Replies (331-340):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 44 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Sorry but my kidsfeet arent going to be all over my seats.  I turned ds at 9 mos due to motion sickness and if he hadnt been so sick I would have turned him at 1 yr.  All of my kids hated RF and screamed in the car.  Not every child can RF, I really think forcing a parent to RF a child is ridiculous. 

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM
My 17 month old dd is the tallest girl in her daycare room. She's 33 inches tall and 27 lbs. she is still RF for her safety!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Ds is almost one (in April) and he is rear facing in a big boy car seat and loves it. My niece today on our way home from the airport had to drive rear facing. Never once did she complain about her legs. But she did get fussy because the sun was in her eyes. What ever she's a complainer anyway. But I mean ill ERF till my son goes to a booster.
bellaamore
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM

My daughter is really tall. She reached 32 inches at 11 months. We bought a truefit premier c670 and it is super wide and super deep, so its more comfy than her britax was, though we didnt have issues with that one yet... I just anticipated them later because of height.

So, no, my kid isnt tiny, my car is t huge (i drive an accord) and my daughter does fine, though she is only 13 months now. I plan to keep her rfing until she reaches the limit of her seat, h brother who is due in june, as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM
You can't compare advice on a park to legit research proven studies on carseat safety lmao. You can't back up a claim about a park not being accessed until age ten as you can the benefits of erfing. And NO your child was NOT safe being illegally restrained. And a craseat is SUPPOSED to have SOME slight wiggle room. Over tightening it is unsafe. You are so uneducated it makes me feel sorry for your kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's just it-ADVICE!  If someone came out tomorrow and advised you that going to the park was dangerous and not to do it until the child is 10 years old, does not mean you should do it.  Every child is different.  Mine was big enough and tall enough to turn around at 9 months old.  So I did.  I had that seat so well secured that in order to take it out, I had to actually kneel in it to unbuckle it.  There was NO wiggle room.  Majority of the accidents that happen are to incorrectly installed seats, and people not buckling in the baby right.  My kids were safe.  

Also, don't you think that in some cases, ERF can cause a false sense of security?  Which can cause a lapse of judgement.  Parents can "slip" when putting baby in car seat.  Straps not tight enough (Like that video that is on this post).

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Really?  Just 2 days ago, I asked a State Police Officer about booster seats.  I was told that when they do random road block checks, if they see a child not properly buckled in, they will correct it.  And give you a ticket.  

He also told me that my 4'11 daughter is tall enough and is heavy enough to sit in the front seat.  Which she has been.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I also went to a car-seat safety check when she was 14 months old.  Officer said it was installed correctly.  Never said anything about her being ff.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I turned my oldest around at 9 months.  Why?  Because she was born weighing 9 lbs 2 1/2 ounces and was 22 inches long.  She was tall.  Wearing 2t clothing at 9 months old.  My youngest was turned around on her 1st birthday.

My daughter was bigger than that at birth.  She's still ERF at almost 22 months (36").  No excuse.

It's not a law, in most places, to ERF til 2.  The police aren't there to give parenting advice, they're there to tell you if your seat is properly installed.

Exactly.  He told you the law, not parenting advice.

bellaamore
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but my kidsfeet arent going to be all over my seats.  I turned ds at 9 mos due to motion sickness and if he hadnt been so sick I would have turned him at 1 yr.  All of my kids hated RF and screamed in the car.  Not every child can RF, I really think forcing a parent to RF a child is ridiculous. 

You can attach a towel to the back of your seat, or even a blanket, so that it goes across the whole seat.

Id deal with screaming until they learned they werent turning. Id rather that than,y kid geta neck injury because of the force of their head being thrust forward, which is reduce no matter the kind of crash if rearfacing.

Ms.Pink.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM
You have your 14 mth in a booster?

Quoting Anonymous:

But my child is.  I go to car seat safety checkpoints EVERY year.

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

I don't see your argument. Most children now days aren't in boosters correctly therefore breaking the law. A 14 mth old ffjng who weighs at least 20lbs is not breaking it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really?  Just 2 days ago, I asked a State Police Officer about booster seats.  I was told that when they do random road block checks, if they see a child not properly buckled in, they will correct it.  And give you a ticket.  

He also told me that my 4'11 daughter is tall enough and is heavy enough to sit in the front seat.  Which she has been.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I also went to a car-seat safety check when she was 14 months old.  Officer said it was installed correctly.  Never said anything about her being ff.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I turned my oldest around at 9 months.  Why?  Because she was born weighing 9 lbs 2 1/2 ounces and was 22 inches long.  She was tall.  Wearing 2t clothing at 9 months old.  My youngest was turned around on her 1st birthday.

My daughter was bigger than that at birth.  She's still ERF at almost 22 months (36").  No excuse.

It's not a law, in most places, to ERF til 2.  The police aren't there to give parenting advice, they're there to tell you if your seat is properly installed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM

it has nothing to do with being anal, it has to do with doing what has been proven safer for the kids.  I think it is a ridiculous thing to say that you do not ERF cause people that do are anal...so random!!

Quoting thetrollcat:

I dont Im not that anal

Ms.Pink.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Was her neck control tested at 9 mths in a motor vehicle collision? Are you trying to say your personal child defied every other infant alive and somehow had proper neck fusion that young?

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice try insulting me.  She did great with neck control at 9 months old.  She was even walking at that age.  My children are in excellent health, make the high honor rolls at school, and are independent.  I have done an excellent job with them.  I do not helicopter, hover, wrap them in bubble wrap, use leashes.  They use their imagination to play.  They will be ready to go out into the world and take chances.  They are not afraid to try new things.  They never worry if they will get "hurt".  They are children-not china.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's just it-ADVICE!  If someone came out tomorrow and advised you that going to the park was dangerous and not to do it until the child is 10 years old, does not mean you should do it.  Every child is different.  Mine was big enough and tall enough to turn around at 9 months old.  So I did.  I had that seat so well secured that in order to take it out, I had to actually kneel in it to unbuckle it.  There was NO wiggle room.  Majority of the accidents that happen are to incorrectly installed seats, and people not buckling in the baby right.  My kids were safe.  

Also, don't you think that in some cases, ERF can cause a false sense of security?  Which can cause a lapse of judgement.  Parents can "slip" when putting baby in car seat.  Straps not tight enough (Like that video that is on this post).

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly.  He told you the law, not parenting advice.

A 9 month old is never safe FF.  They don't have the neck muscles and head control. Nice job doing the parenting bare minimum.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM

yeah god forbid, you get shoe prints on your car.  I cannot believe how selfish some of you bitches are.  unreal

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but my kidsfeet arent going to be all over my seats. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN