Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How on earth do you ERF past age 1? ***UPDATE AFTER TRYING IT***

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm asking because it seriously doesnt make any sense to me. We have 2 different styles of carseats for both girls. and even my youngest hasnt been able to RF since she was 1. Is is our car seats? We just go off of the state requirement for weight and age. My oldest is 3 and 40 inches tall. Youngest is 15 months and 30 inches tall.

We have these carseats for each girl:

They go up to 65 pounds, which in our state is over the requirements for a child restraint being needed. they both say they can rear face to 40 pounds, but both my girls forward faced at a year because their legs were so smooshed.

Is there special car seats for ERF or is just whatever your child can fit safely in until their legs are too long?

***So I tried rearranging somethings in the car to rear face both girls and the 3 year was a little uncomfortable and whined for a little bit. But then she said she was ok after all. Our youngest feel asleep on a 4 minute drive from Walmart to our home. I'm a fan now! I was just always told it was a bad idea so I never gave it much thought!****

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Replies (351-360):
ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I sons legs are smooshed but the way i look at it is i'd rather he break his leg than his neck. He'll be turning around soon though. So not to much longer and then he'll get some leg room :)

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I am saying that she was too big to be rear facing.  

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

Was her neck control tested at 9 mths in a motor vehicle collision? Are you trying to say your personal child defied every other infant alive and somehow had proper neck fusion that young?

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice try insulting me.  She did great with neck control at 9 months old.  She was even walking at that age.  My children are in excellent health, make the high honor rolls at school, and are independent.  I have done an excellent job with them.  I do not helicopter, hover, wrap them in bubble wrap, use leashes.  They use their imagination to play.  They will be ready to go out into the world and take chances.  They are not afraid to try new things.  They never worry if they will get "hurt".  They are children-not china.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's just it-ADVICE!  If someone came out tomorrow and advised you that going to the park was dangerous and not to do it until the child is 10 years old, does not mean you should do it.  Every child is different.  Mine was big enough and tall enough to turn around at 9 months old.  So I did.  I had that seat so well secured that in order to take it out, I had to actually kneel in it to unbuckle it.  There was NO wiggle room.  Majority of the accidents that happen are to incorrectly installed seats, and people not buckling in the baby right.  My kids were safe.  

Also, don't you think that in some cases, ERF can cause a false sense of security?  Which can cause a lapse of judgement.  Parents can "slip" when putting baby in car seat.  Straps not tight enough (Like that video that is on this post).

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Really?  Just 2 days ago, I asked a State Police Officer about booster seats.  I was told that when they do random road block checks, if they see a child not properly buckled in, they will correct it.  And give you a ticket.  

He also told me that my 4'11 daughter is tall enough and is heavy enough to sit in the front seat.  Which she has been.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I also went to a car-seat safety check when she was 14 months old.  Officer said it was installed correctly.  Never said anything about her being ff.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I turned my oldest around at 9 months.  Why?  Because she was born weighing 9 lbs 2 1/2 ounces and was 22 inches long.  She was tall.  Wearing 2t clothing at 9 months old.  My youngest was turned around on her 1st birthday.

My daughter was bigger than that at birth.  She's still ERF at almost 22 months (36").  No excuse.

It's not a law, in most places, to ERF til 2.  The police aren't there to give parenting advice, they're there to tell you if your seat is properly installed.

Exactly.  He told you the law, not parenting advice.

A 9 month old is never safe FF.  They don't have the neck muscles and head control. Nice job doing the parenting bare minimum.

She wasn't. 

AwesomeElegance
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM

ERF?

MDWife12
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM

We have that top carseat :) love it! Our youngest is only 6 1/2 months though and the other two kids we have aren't rf - we have a 7 year old and a 5 year old lol :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

the carseat installalation place put it there when he was born and thats where we  have always put it .

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

He should of been RF in the middle of the back seat. The outboard seats are always the least safest.

Quoting Anonymous:

if he had been rf his head would have been in the middle of the impact zone. but with him ff he was outside  of the impact zone.here is a pic of my car after the accident

Quoting Kitschy:

How would that have changed the way the seat absorbed the impact?

Quoting Anonymous:

if my son had been rear faceing when i got hit he would have been hurt badly.

i was t-boned by a fullsized quad cab pick up doing 35mph and because he was ff he didnt have any injuries

nicki.hemingway
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My 31 month old is 37 inches and 28 pounds, he just hangs his legs to the side or puts them up the seats.  My 20 month old is 30 inches and 21 pounds he feet barely touch the seat.  Both are in MyRide 65.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Yep

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

You just keep telling yourself that...wrap your kids in bubble wrap.  My children are healthy.  They are safe.  You raise your children in a bubble, and I will raise mine in the real world.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice try insulting me.  She did great with neck control at 9 months old.  She was even walking at that age.  My children are in excellent health, make the high honor rolls at school, and are independent.  I have done an excellent job with them.  I do not helicopter, hover, wrap them in bubble wrap, use leashes.  They use their imagination to play.  They will be ready to go out into the world and take chances.  They are not afraid to try new things.  They never worry if they will get "hurt".  They are children-not china.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's just it-ADVICE!  If someone came out tomorrow and advised you that going to the park was dangerous and not to do it until the child is 10 years old, does not mean you should do it.  Every child is different.  Mine was big enough and tall enough to turn around at 9 months old.  So I did.  I had that seat so well secured that in order to take it out, I had to actually kneel in it to unbuckle it.  There was NO wiggle room.  Majority of the accidents that happen are to incorrectly installed seats, and people not buckling in the baby right.  My kids were safe.  

Also, don't you think that in some cases, ERF can cause a false sense of security?  Which can cause a lapse of judgement.  Parents can "slip" when putting baby in car seat.  Straps not tight enough (Like that video that is on this post).

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Really?  Just 2 days ago, I asked a State Police Officer about booster seats.  I was told that when they do random road block checks, if they see a child not properly buckled in, they will correct it.  And give you a ticket.  

He also told me that my 4'11 daughter is tall enough and is heavy enough to sit in the front seat.  Which she has been.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I also went to a car-seat safety check when she was 14 months old.  Officer said it was installed correctly.  Never said anything about her being ff.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I turned my oldest around at 9 months.  Why?  Because she was born weighing 9 lbs 2 1/2 ounces and was 22 inches long.  She was tall.  Wearing 2t clothing at 9 months old.  My youngest was turned around on her 1st birthday.

My daughter was bigger than that at birth.  She's still ERF at almost 22 months (36").  No excuse.

It's not a law, in most places, to ERF til 2.  The police aren't there to give parenting advice, they're there to tell you if your seat is properly installed.

A 9 month old is never safe FF.  They don't have the neck muscles and head control. Nice job doing the parenting bare minimum.

Your 9 month old's neck would've snapped like a twig if you were in a medium+ car accident.  

Walking is completely irrelevant, as is everything you wrote after that.  BTW, a 9 month old's spinal cord IS like china.

Again, fail.  

Yes, going with AAP recommendations is really raising my kid in a bubble.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

She was too.  You weren't there.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am saying that she was too big to be rear facing.  

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

Was her neck control tested at 9 mths in a motor vehicle collision? Are you trying to say your personal child defied every other infant alive and somehow had proper neck fusion that young?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

She wasn't. 

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't have to be there. You're full of shit and you know it. You just did what was easiest.
sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

you seem to have really strong opinions here - I am not nearly that interested in the topic.  You do what works for you  

Quoting thetrollcat:

bullshit, the Breastfeeders say the same damn thing about extending breastfeeding past two.

Its being anal.

Quoting sfkdny:

it has nothing to do with being anal, it has to do with doing what has been proven safer for the kids.  I think it is a ridiculous thing to say that you do not ERF cause people that do are anal...so random!!

Quoting thetrollcat:

I dont Im not that anal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)