Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How on earth do you ERF past age 1? ***UPDATE AFTER TRYING IT***

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm asking because it seriously doesnt make any sense to me. We have 2 different styles of carseats for both girls. and even my youngest hasnt been able to RF since she was 1. Is is our car seats? We just go off of the state requirement for weight and age. My oldest is 3 and 40 inches tall. Youngest is 15 months and 30 inches tall.

We have these carseats for each girl:

They go up to 65 pounds, which in our state is over the requirements for a child restraint being needed. they both say they can rear face to 40 pounds, but both my girls forward faced at a year because their legs were so smooshed.

Is there special car seats for ERF or is just whatever your child can fit safely in until their legs are too long?

***So I tried rearranging somethings in the car to rear face both girls and the 3 year was a little uncomfortable and whined for a little bit. But then she said she was ok after all. Our youngest feel asleep on a 4 minute drive from Walmart to our home. I'm a fan now! I was just always told it was a bad idea so I never gave it much thought!****

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Replies (361-370):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I loathe your laize-faire attitude.  I pray you never have to pay with your child's life for a decision with no merrit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah god forbid, you get shoe prints on your car.  I cannot believe how selfish some of you bitches are.  unreal

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but my kidsfeet arent going to be all over my seats. 

When you have to lose 1000.00 when it comes time to trade in the vehicle  then you will wish you didnt let the kids put their feet all over the seats.  So glad I dont live in a whatif world and I dont live in the OMg my child will break their neck IF we are in an accident.  Because chances are they wont.  As long as they are buckled in their carseat whether FF or RF they will be just fine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM

my dd was also 9.8 lbs at birth and in the 95% for both height and weight and she did just fine rear facing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I turned my oldest around at 9 months.  Why?  Because she was born weighing 9 lbs 2 1/2 ounces and was 22 inches long.  She was tall.  Wearing 2t clothing at 9 months old.  My youngest was turned around on her 1st birthday.

My son was 9lbs 13.5oz & 21" long.  He rear faced until he was 2 years old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM

good for you-I'm glad

Quoting Anonymous:

my dd was also 9.8 lbs at birth and in the 95% for both height and weight and she did just fine rear facing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I turned my oldest around at 9 months.  Why?  Because she was born weighing 9 lbs 2 1/2 ounces and was 22 inches long.  She was tall.  Wearing 2t clothing at 9 months old.  My youngest was turned around on her 1st birthday.

StevieMarie
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I really like it too!

Quoting MDWife12:

We have that top carseat :) love it! Our youngest is only 6 1/2 months though and the other two kids we have aren't rf - we have a 7 year old and a 5 year old lol :)

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I rear faced my son until he was 3 years old... 41 inches 38 lbs...

Their legs don't get smooshed... they have knees... they bend!  My son always liked it... he slept much better on long trips... I mean, really... it's like a recliner! Who wouldn't want to ride all reclined?  Even now when he's forward he still pulls his legs up like this a lot or sits criss cross in his seat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM
My son was RFing on his 5th birthday. I guarantee your 9 month old was not bigger than my 5 year old.

Quoting Anonymous:

good for you-I'm glad

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Lol..after rearranging some things, you tried it? Wth could you have possibly rearranged? LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM
No joke. I'm not cheap, I spring for the leather seats.

Quoting Anonymous:

I loathe your laize-faire attitude.  I pray you never have to pay with your child's life for a decision with no merrit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah god forbid, you get shoe prints on your car.  I cannot believe how selfish some of you bitches are.  unreal

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but my kidsfeet arent going to be all over my seats. 

When you have to lose 1000.00 when it comes time to trade in the vehicle  then you will wish you didnt let the kids put their feet all over the seats.  So glad I dont live in a whatif world and I dont live in the OMg my child will break their neck IF we are in an accident.  Because chances are they wont.  As long as they are buckled in their carseat whether FF or RF they will be just fine. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StevieMarie
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Moving the seats me and Dh sit in forward and swapping the girls' spots in the back. As well as changing which carseat they were in. Previously the 3 year old was in the Guide 65 and the 15 month old was in the MyRide 65. I put those away and brought out my 3 year olds My Ride 65, and my 15 month old's Guide65. That way I could rearface the 3 year old behind my seat so it could be in the reclined postion, giving her a bit more legroom so they werent on her chest. The youngest had to go behind Dh because his seat has to be farther back than mine. Our car isnt big so it took some repositioning from what we had it set up before today.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Lol..after rearranging some things, you tried it? Wth could you have possibly rearranged? LOL!

geminisiren
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I am glad you were able to get it to work! My kids are so comfy RFing. They almost aways fall asleep in the car. Great job!

Quoting StevieMarie:

Moving the seats me and Dh sit in forward and swapping the girls' spots in the back. As well as changing which carseat they were in. Previously the 3 year old was in the Guide 65 and the 15 month old was in the MyRide 65. I put those away and brought out my 3 year olds My Ride 65, and my 15 month old's Guide65. That way I could rearface the 3 year old behind my seat so it could be in the reclined postion, giving her a bit more legroom so they werent on her chest. The youngest had to go behind Dh because his seat has to be farther back than mine. Our car isnt big so it took some repositioning from what we had it set up before today.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)