Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Children at a funeral visitation

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 72 Replies

Have you ever taken your children to a visitation? I'm not talking about the funeral because I think that's more solemn. I'm also not talking about letting kids run around and act crazy during the visitation. This person really loved children, he was 95 and the children ( 5& 6 yo) grew up next door to him and were close to him, and he really loved seeing them because he wasn't able to get around without a wheelchair. I know there are two sides to the story, some people say no children, others say it was a comfort to have (well-behaved) children there, and I'm curious about your personal experiences.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Val99
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM

My family doesn't display the dead.  They find it tacky.  I didn't even know about that custum until my MiL was put down and I asked my mother.

They will have a memorial so people can discuss anecdotes about the deceased.  I have taken children to that.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I have not. When my husband's grandfather died, she was only 3, so my in-laws kept her for the viewing and the funeral. When his grandmother died, dd was 8, and she chose not to go to the viewing, but did go to the funeral.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I would let them go with me. My sister found our mom on Tuesday, and if she'd had a funeral she wanted to be cremated), our 4 year-old would be at the visitation and funeral too.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I wouldnt attend one myself, and I wouldnt bring children to see a dead body either, I find it a disturbing practice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I wouldn't take my DS and he is 9. The only way I would take my kids to any funeral was if it was an immediate family member. FTS.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM

It's up to you. I've had my kids at a funeral and a visitation.

Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I'd take them. That's just me, but I've taken my kids everywhere at any age.
keyawin
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM

When my grandma died I took my son with me to the visitation and he was 10 at the time. 

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM

my children went to my grandmother's viewing, funeral and burial.  (3 separate days since she was buried here but was living out of state when she passed). they kids were 4 and 11.

my son was 4 when he went to his first memorial service.  there was only a picture collage anyway. firey car crash.  she was cremated.  i knew that before going so i had no issue with taking him.

dipsetgrl06
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I did. My grandpa recently passed and my 6 year old was there for the 3 viewings and the funeral. He was even one of the pallbearers. I was not going to not let him go. He loved him so much and wasn't allowed to visit while he was in the hospital. My son spent almost every moment next to the open casket talking to his great grandpa.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN