Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I tell my son about suicide?

Posted by   + Show Post

March of 2012, my son's father committed suicide. Now, his mother (the grandmother) committed suicide. I have not told him yet, as I don't know what to say. When his father died, I was advised, by a child counselor, to tell my son that his father was sick and his heart stopped working. My son is eight by the way. The problem is that I don't want to tell him that again, and have my son think that every time he or anyone gets sick that he might die.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Replies (31-33):
Horsey_Mom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Thank you for all of the helpful advice. We are answering questions as they come, as honestly and as simply as we can can. I just want everyone to know, that lying to him was never an option. I never lied about his dad. I just wanted to know if there was another way to explain it without scaring him. Suicide is very hard all on its own, but to have two people close to you do that in less than a year... Well, it's hard to say the least.... Thank you again for your kind words and help.

Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM
This. DS is 5 and I would tell him the truth about the deaths. I refuse to lie about that stuff.

Quoting purpleducky:

Why not tell him the truth?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I am so sorry :( how devistating for your son to lose not only his dad but his grandma too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured