Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

promotion at work with NO raise??? ETA:

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

DH got offerede a "promotion" currently he is a tech and tho this isn't much to some he is making just under 17.50 an hr right now... he is supposed to get his first raise in this position in april (over a year after he became a tech) since when he first became a tech... now they want him to be a lead (more responsibility) but still not get his first raise until april of .50 then they will give him another raise after 6 more months.... I told DH NO way.... What should we do??? please be serious.... And I don't know what the raise after 6 months would be... can't see it being more than .50 or 1$.

He is taking the job. With my support.  Thanks everyone for the help... :)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM
3 moms liked this

I think he should take it even if he don't get raise it looks good on a resume.

I am a housekeeper at a hotel i was recently given i guess you can call it a promotion, i am now assistance headhousekeeper. I am not getting paid more but i do have more responsibility the only reason why i took it is because it will look good for future jobs. being that this is the first job i have held in 7 years i need anything i can get to add on an application and/or resume.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM

The thing that bothers me is he isn't getting paid what he is worth as it is.... including bonuses he made just over 42k last yr..... and thats with 2 associates degrees... 1 he had to get for the job... and we are a single income family... not easy with DH going to school (which we have to pay for) having to drive DS to school 3 days a week, and paying for my truck and insuring 2 vehicles.. DH drives about 3000 miles a month not exagerating one bit..

Quoting Anonymous:

I think he should take it even if he don't get raise it looks good on a resume.

I am a housekeeper at a hotel i was recently given i guess you can call it a promotion, i am now assistance headhousekeeper. I am not getting paid more but i do have more responsibility the only reason why i took it is because it will look good for future jobs. being that this is the first job i have held in 7 years i need anything i can get to add on an application and/or resume.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I think it really depends. 

If this were my company, I would take the promotion without the raise, because it is good for me, and I would see what April brings, along with a plan for leveraing my work within the position for a higher promotion. It is close, and if he decides to leave the position, then, he gets the title to move on with - but that is really because I have a hard time seeing declining a position and being an important part of the team. 

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM

It depends, if the added work load will cause him not to do well in school, then perhaps it is best especially without a raise to go with the promotion to turn it down. However, keep in mind that they may pass him over for other promotions if he doesn't accept this one. Have him look up the amount that "leaders" in that field are paid on average and if it is a substancial difference, have him print it out and speak to the dept offering the promotion when and if he would be paid in line with what others are being paid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This is GREAT advice!!!!! Thank you all so much...... I feel better about the opportunity..... I will do the research and find out on average what the pay scale is for this position! :) Again.. thanks so much!

Quoting acrogodess:

It depends, if the added work load will cause him not to do well in school, then perhaps it is best especially without a raise to go with the promotion to turn it down. However, keep in mind that they may pass him over for other promotions if he doesn't accept this one. Have him look up the amount that "leaders" in that field are paid on average and if it is a substancial difference, have him print it out and speak to the dept offering the promotion when and if he would be paid in line with what others are being paid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Tech jobs are few and far between. My dh has a masters and no job. He's been applying for a year. If he doesn't take the promotion he might have no job.
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM

work experience is more valuable than that raise... i would totally tell him to take it, get that experience under his belt and then look for a different and better paying job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

maybe your DH is over qualified...... or maybe he's one of those people who won't start as a temp on the production floor?? My husband is a very valuable asset to his company.... Not that the company couldn't go on without him, but he has worked up from being on the production line to maintenance and now a tech.... and now soon a lead tech..... if he turns down the promotion nothing will happen.... 

I personally don't understand how all these people with degrees don't have jobs... we live in Michigan... which has a terrible unemployment problem and my DH found a job right away when it came time for him to get a job... like he had a job lined up within a month of looking.... I think people feel too good for that production job... DH mom even said that she won't work production again... so with her 2 associates degrees (she's a very book smart lady and got 2 degrees in 2 years) but she is making minimum wage not using her education just because she feels she is better than working on a shop productin line.... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Tech jobs are few and far between. My dh has a masters and no job. He's been applying for a year. If he doesn't take the promotion he might have no job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

you're right... but the problem is tho that there isn't any better paying jobs around here..... :( I will suck it up for now.... it will get better for us soon enough right?? :) I would love for DH to make 75k a year... is that really too much to ask for??? (and I don't mean this year... I mean within the next 4-5 yrs)

Quoting itsm3:

work experience is more valuable than that raise... i would totally tell him to take it, get that experience under his belt and then look for a different and better paying job.

Traci_Momof2
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I think he should take it.  It's planning for the future.  Not taking it would be burning bridges.  So what if he doesn't get the raise for another 6 months?  At least he's likely getting one.

And the 50 cent raise is a good amount.  It's 2.85% of his current $17.50.  Most of the time raises (at least as far as I've seen) are around 2% - 3%.  So he's right in that range.

By taking the promotion and not demanding the raise right away, he would be showing them that he can be dependable and reliable - that he's not just out for the money.  That will serve him well down the road.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN