Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

huggers, arm patters and cheek kissers.

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Sort of a spinoff from the closetalker thread.

Does it bother you if someone touches you without invitation? Say a hug, cheek kiss or a pat on the arm or leg while talking?

How do you handle it? Do you think it odd if someone doesn't like to be touched?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM

DH's mom gave me a hug to welcome me into the family. I cringed. I do NOT like to be touched. 11 years later she still gives me a hard time about it.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I am picky about the touch. it depends on the persons personality. I'm not much of a toucher and don't really like to touch lol so it takes alot for me to touch a person.

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I am a patter. I have to read people as best I can so as not to offend someone who perhaps does not want my attentions lol

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM

My ex mother in law never forgave me for not liking to be hugged, she made a HUGe deal out of it and said it embarrassed her.  *eyeroll*

Quoting heresjohnny:

DH's mom gave me a hug to welcome me into the family. I cringed. I do NOT like to be touched. 11 years later she still gives me a hard time about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I hate touchers and close talkers. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Yes! I cannot stand being touched by most people. Including family. If you come too close, I'll move away from you. Keep coming and my hand comes up, signaling you to back off. Don't take the hint, and hand becomes a fist. Keep coming and I'll punch you.

Yes, I know it'd be polite to use words, but its not possible for me. Its an issue. I've been in therapy for years. Everyone who knows me is aware, and there are still people who try it.
mattiehatter
by Mary on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I'm guilty of touching someone to let them know I'm walking behind them at work. Nothing that a lot of people give a second thought to (just a shoulder touch).

horseap
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Arm pats are ok I guess... anything else creeps me out and I will back off I dont care if I offend you or not.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I can understand, my sis tells me I get weird when someone touches me.  And Ive seen an entire room suddenly go quiet after someone touches me and I bluntly say "Dont touch me.  Ever."

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes! I cannot stand being touched by most people. Including family. If you come too close, I'll move away from you. Keep coming and my hand comes up, signaling you to back off. Don't take the hint, and hand becomes a fist. Keep coming and I'll punch you.

Yes, I know it'd be polite to use words, but its not possible for me. Its an issue. I've been in therapy for years. Everyone who knows me is aware, and there are still people who try it.

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM
I just stiffen up or hug back, suck it up, and move on. I really don't like to be touched. Even getting a massage is difficult.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)