Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Something fishy is going on here and I want to know what it is!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
My bf and I started dating last May. He's always treated me extremely well, no drug or alcohol problems, worked at the same place for several years. He has two daughters that live across the country that I've never met, as they only visit in the summer. We'd only been seeing each other a few weeks last summer so it made sense not to introduce me yet.

This is what I find odd. He signed his rights away and the girls have taken their stepdad's last name. I have no idea why he would do that since he's still in their lives. Plus, he pays child support. The cs itself doesn't bother me and if it were voluntary, I would understand, but it's court ordered. Something doesn't add up.

I've tried to discuss it with him, but hr refuses to talk about it. If things weren't getting serious, I would say it's none of my business, but if we have a future together, including kids of our own, I think I should know what's up with the kids he already has.

Any ideas?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd sit him down and said you need to start talking or I'm walking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Tell him what you told us. But you're right... Something stinks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous2u
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I think if he feels like its getting that serious he will talk to u about it. Till then don't push it.

Btw him signing his rights away doesn't take the responsibility away, which is why he still pays cs, its only signing rights to visitation away. Unless sd adopts them then and only then he can stop paying cs. At least that's what the judge told my sister when her ex wanted to sign his rights away.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Yeah that's definitely suspicious.
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Don't have kids with this man until you know whats going on with the ones he currently has. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I'm going to have to I think. He just freezes up if I say anything about it. I wouldn't even know his ex wife's name if his mom hadn't said it.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Tell him freezing up isnt going to work this time and you deserve answers.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm going to have to I think. He just freezes up if I say anything about it. I wouldn't even know his ex wife's name if his mom hadn't said it.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I'd just tell him what you said above. If he wants the relationship to continue then nothing is off limits and this seems off to you and its a red flag. You don't want to continue in a relationship with someone who just gives up his parental rights. Personally I don't think there could be a good reason for doing this, but let's just say there is or could be. You must know what this readout is before you continue in this relationship and potentially have children with him. Plus you need to know for your own children's sake, as you are on cm and I'm assuming you have kids. You must be willing to go if he doesn't tell. Period. This is a deal breaker. Honesty is needed for a relationship.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Hmm, I didn't know that. I assumed it meant no cs or anything since signing away rights always comes up in the abortion debates on here.

Quoting Anonymous2u:

I think if he feels like its getting that serious he will talk to u about it. Till then don't push it.

Btw him signing his rights away doesn't take the responsibility away, which is why he still pays cs, its only signing rights to visitation away. Unless sd adopts them then and only then he can stop paying cs. At least that's what the judge told my sister when her ex wanted to sign his rights away.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM
That's odd maybe his rights were involuntarily terminated. Run a criminal background check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)