Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

renting a one bedroom for a small family..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

My husband and I and our infant son (8 months) are moving and all we can afford is a one bedroom. EVERY single renter I email asking for more info just says "sorry I think the place is too small for you."

WHAT THE FUCK! 

I asked for more info, i'm well aware its small. it is all we can fucking afford. I feel like i keep getting turned away just because of my son and its driving me crazy :(

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Yikes sorry to hear that. Do they know he is that small? Maybe asking for a shorter lease would help? They could be worried that as your child gets older it will be too small and you'll leave. Sorry you're going through this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Two_Hearts
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM

That is ridiculous!

Myself and DD have been living in a one bedroom for 5+ years now, my SO often spends the night as well...the bedroom IS her bedroom however she doesnt like to sleep in it  and prefers the living room , so that does give us the bedroom...but if she did sleep in her room than we would have our bed in the living room not a problem.

I hope you are able to find something soon ..

poshkat
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

we had a one bedroom until DS was almost 2. luckily we had a big livingroom so i just put up something to block half of it off.

Pnukey
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

It's probably because in a year or two he will need his own space and then you will just move again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You should be able to move in. What I would do, is just view the apartments w/o my kid. Then sign the lease no mentioning of the child. Move in and they can't evict you because you suddenly acquired a baby. For all they know you adopted.

cLanief
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I know the feeling. When I split with my ex while pregnant and had a 4yo everyone I called said they could not put me into a one or even two bedroom until my current landlord. Just keep looking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM
It's not you...apartments have occupancy limits. Usually once a child is 6 mo. They are counted. One bedrooms are usually 2 occupants. Look for a one with a den. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM

ive had several people say the apartments werent suitable for us because there is no yard for a child to run and play - its like ok HES AN INFANT not a dog. for fucks sake.

Quoting cLanief:

I know the feeling. When I split with my ex while pregnant and had a 4yo everyone I called said they could not put me into a one or even two bedroom until my current landlord. Just keep looking.

kidlover2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I rented a one bedroom with my 2 yr old and dh. She had the bedroom and we had the futon in the living room. Keep looking. There will eventually be someone. Avoid anything with utilities included because landlords balk over having to provide extra for more people.
JLS2388
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM

A lot of places will only rent at a ratio of 1 bedroom to 2 people. So those places would require you to get at least a 2 bedroom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN