Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your thoughts?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 24 Replies

I met my Dh over 7 years ago. When I met him my dd was a little over 1. (My ex started dating his wife around the same time- everyone is super involved with dd) I made it clear to DH if we were to ever have children they must be treated equal or our relationship wouldn't work. He agreed and it has always been that way. Both of her step parents are awesome. She doesn't refer to them as step. She has 2 moms and 2 dads.

My Dh's family is strange. They are not bad people they are just not loving. We live about 30 miles from them and only see them about 3-4 times a year. They call and ask to get my DS a lot. (He is 5 and their grandchild) I tell them no. Here's why. My DD has only been invited to come to their house twice in 7 years and only because my DH made a big deal about it. They always want to get my DS when my DD is at her dads so they can sneak him away and DD won't know. MIL exact words. My MIL has 5 grandchildren. 3 step gd and 2 natural gs. She states this often. She tells my SIL who has no kids that she needs to have a baby girl so she can have a granddaughter since she has 2 gs. WTH?? You have 3 gs!!!!

So no my son will not be spending time with people who want to exclude my other child. Am I wrong? Should I deny them a close relationship with DS because they don't want one with dd. She is 8 1/2. We still go to family functions.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

BUMP

catrig
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My brother's both have step kids.  My parents wouldn't dream of doing that.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Neither would her step moms family. It hurts me and pisses me off.

Quoting catrig:

My brother's both have step kids.  My parents wouldn't dream of doing that.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Bump

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I agree... No reason to treat grandchildren differently. My mil does this...She practically raised mynephew for the first 2 years of his life... He is her favorite. I now do not bring my son to her house when I am visiting (we are a military family and live 5 hours away). I will only visit my mom. My mil questioned my husband about it but he didn't know how to respond... If she ever asked me directly I would give her a brutally honest piece of my mind. You are right in your feelings and actions.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

My dh feels awkward too. They really only pursue a relationship with DS and only on their terms. They don't care about me or dd or really even my dh. I would tell her too, but I don't want to start a family war.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I agree... No reason to treat grandchildren differently. My mil does this...She practically raised mynephew for the first 2 years of his life... He is her favorite. I now do not bring my son to her house when I am visiting (we are a military family and live 5 hours away). I will only visit my mom. My mil questioned my husband about it but he didn't know how to respond... If she ever asked me directly I would give her a brutally honest piece of my mind. You are right in your feelings and actions.

Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

My kids are somewhat excluded. It bothers me just as much and it isn't right.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I don't get it. My dd is smart, quite, and well behaved. She is much easier than my ds. Pisses me off!!

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

BUMP

Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

it really angers me, I keep it in but it does. I try to keep the peace as much as I can but it's only a matter of time before I blow and stop letting any of them go anywhere.

Quoting momma2mms:

I don't get it. My dd is smart, quite, and well behaved. She is much easier than my ds. Pisses me off!!

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN