Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Refund delay because I'm in school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

I've heard several people in here say that their refund is being delayed until the end of February because of something having to do with school.  I started attending school this year (well, 2012) and I got a 1098-T from my school.  Does this mean that they won't process my refund until the end of February?  The IRS website doesn't say anything other than it is being processed and "a refund date will be provided when available".  Before it was saying that it had been accepted (but not that it was being processed) and that I should get a refund within 21 days.  

Anyone know?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyL3469
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I never heard that. I'm in school. I got my 1098 form 3 days ago and we filed. We haven't yet been accepted, but no where did it say it would take that long.

superm0m877
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

are you getting the education credit? If yes, then yes it will be delayed. I used turbotax and it told me that the IRS will not be processing returns with that credit until the end of the month. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Yep. That's what I'm hearing as well.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

If you took certain deductions/credits they are being delayed.

CafeMom Tickers
elle7777
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Yep (if you are claiming one of the education credits).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I don't think that I qualified for any credit.  I put the information from the 1098-T in to my return and it didn't change my refund amount at all.  Does that matter?

superm0m877
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

here is a list from the IRS website of forms that will be delayed, causing a delayed return http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/List-of-IRS-forms-that-1040-filers-can-begin-filing-in-late-February-or-into-March-2013

superm0m877
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

if you arent getting the education credit then I would just delete the 1098t info from your return so it doesnt affect it. if you already submitted it then its too late to do that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think that I qualified for any credit.  I put the information from the 1098-T in to my return and it didn't change my refund amount at all.  Does that matter?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The 1098-T isn't on there, does that mean I won't have to wait?

Quoting superm0m877:

here is a list from the IRS website of forms that will be delayed, causing a delayed return http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/List-of-IRS-forms-that-1040-filers-can-begin-filing-in-late-February-or-into-March-2013

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I thought that if I got the form then I HAD to file with it?  I just checked and it says that I don't qualify.

Quoting superm0m877:

if you arent getting the education credit then I would just delete the 1098t info from your return so it doesnt affect it. if you already submitted it then its too late to do that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured