Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax Question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
I am claiming education credits. I have my 1098-T from my current school but am waiting on the one from my old school. The question is, I all ready qualify for the maximum American Opportunitu Credit just based on my expenses in the fall semester. I have all my other documents all ready. Is there any reason for me to wait on the other 1098-T as it will have no bearing it? Or can I go ahead and file and not worry about those expenses?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
shannonmarie77
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I'm not sure how they work, can you guess the amount on the second and run the numbers through Turbo Tax for free and see if it makes a difference?  Just so you know the IRS is holding education credit tax returns for processing until at least mid February, I had the same thing and they are putting mine off. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM
It can't make a difference. The credit is a max of $2500, which I all ready qualify for. So I don't see any reason to wait. It was only like $1000 in expenses anyway because it was a CC and mostly covered by grants.

Quoting shannonmarie77:

I'm not sure how they work, can you guess the amount on the second and run the numbers through Turbo Tax for free and see if it makes a difference?  Just so you know the IRS is holding education credit tax returns for processing until at least mid February, I had the same thing and they are putting mine off. :(

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I think it'll be a while before education credits are ready anyway so why not wait.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I know, boo. But at least my legwork will be done.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I think it'll be a while before education credits are ready anyway so why not wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)