Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The lack of car seat knowledge

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is amazing.
Here is a link explaining WHY the AAP says to rear face until AT LEAST 2 years old.

http://www.earlyinterventionsupport.com/parentingtips/safety/rearfacingcarseats.aspx

Now, stop using the "they will break their leg" excuse.
It's MUCH easier to repair a leg (and the article even said it is RARE for rear facing) than a neck injury is.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Blah blah blah. The laws change every year and every year these super carseat mommy have a "pat eachother on the back" days where they congradulate themselves for being Superior  mommies.  Here you go

Quoting Anonymous:

It's kind of sad that you view child safety as a dead horse topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

good day!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I wish we lived in an area where we could walk or ride bikes places. We just make sure that our vehicles are as safe as possible.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know! Cars are made so shitty now. Meh, I don't really ever have the kids in the car. Once a week if they're lucky. My car stays clean that way and the kids get exercise.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Or the high car speeds and the cars were made more solid.

Quoting Anonymous:

We also didn't have all of the distractions we do nowadays.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting angel_peanut:

i would love to know how we all survived our childhood?

We were very lucky. (Not being sarcastic)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

good day!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

wow.  that's not fair.  my 22 month old was ff at 19 months.  even though she seemed cramped, i wasn't worried that her legs would break.  i ff only because she screamed constantly and tried to look to the front of the car.  would that screaming have killed her?  of course not...but it was driving me nuts. it got to where i would try to find a sitter rather than take her anywhere.  one day, i decided i couldn't take it anymore...flipped her car seat around & she loved it.  of course, i care about her safety, but her screaming was affecting our day to day routine.  my older child was ff at 1 year per the recommendations of the time. 

Quoting RobinBright:

I don't understand the people who DO have access to the factual information, and choose to ignore it.  Legitimate ignorance is one thing-- when you actually don't know any better and do what you think is right.... Stubborn rejection of fact is just selfish and stupid.  

Children ARE safer RF.  Their legs will NOT break.  "It's better for our family" does not outweight the laws of physics.  Your two year old was NOT too big unless they were literally the size of an average 5 year old.  Just own up and admit "I don't care to keep my child as safe as I can."

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I wish I lived in a small city. I can get around my town no problem, but it doesn't har the same resources as a city would. I only use my car because I have to pay so much to keep it on the road..

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I wish we lived in an area where we could walk or ride bikes places. We just make sure that our vehicles are as safe as possible.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know! Cars are made so shitty now. Meh, I don't really ever have the kids in the car. Once a week if they're lucky. My car stays clean that way and the kids get exercise.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Or the high car speeds and the cars were made more solid.

Quoting Anonymous:

We also didn't have all of the distractions we do nowadays.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting angel_peanut:

angel_peanut
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM
That's a whole lot of luck with the amount of "rules " we have now that didn't exist then

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting angel_peanut:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ktwister
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

The rate of child dying in car accidents has declined over the years.  Even with more cars on the road.  It shows advanced carseat knowledge is working.  Sadly parents are still not properly using carseats and trusting the wrong people to seek advice from.    One of my dear friend's misuses her carseat all the time, her husband is a police officer.   The straps are not tight, bulky jacket, aftermarket products, etc. 

I think parents take it personal when they realize they are doing something different or potentially dangerous.  They get defensive and fail to see they can improve.  I was one of those parents.  Then I had to wake up and realize I'm not being criticized, someone is just trying to inform me of something I may not realize.    When you sit down and think of what your body goes through in a car accident, you have to realize your child's developing body may not be able to withstand that kind of force.  Why wouldn't you want them to be fully protected. 

Why is carseat stages some kind of right of passage? What is so magical about rushing to forward face a young child?  Again I was one of those, who thought but my son is so big, and forward faced him way to soon.   How big he was didn't trump the fact his spine was still developing.

I'm tired of the "Back in the Day" statements.  We used to use lead paint, some kids never were harmed, some kids got lead poison.   Would you risk it now, would you had your kid a toy that had lead based paint on it?

tarakay0417
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I didn't ERF my ds but plan to with this baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mary841108
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Reading some of these 'new studies' i'd like to know that too. Better yet, how did  our parents and grandparents and great grandparents survive? everyone is so freaking crazy and stressed about parenting now days its like "do you even take time to enjoy it or are you constantly panicking about the sugar in the juice, the dirt on the grass and the processed whatever in the cheerios?" calm down calm down.

By the way; my kids were in a front facing seat before they turned one, then again that was years ago, but if i were to have another baby it too would be front facing as soon as its legs were all scrunched up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Seriously. The, "how did we all survive?" question, sheesh. Cars were made of metal back in the day, sturdy metal. Everything is made out of damn plastic today.
I don't see why so many parents have a problem keeping their child RF longer. Just.do.it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured