Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The lack of car seat knowledge

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is amazing.
Here is a link explaining WHY the AAP says to rear face until AT LEAST 2 years old.

http://www.earlyinterventionsupport.com/parentingtips/safety/rearfacingcarseats.aspx

Now, stop using the "they will break their leg" excuse.
It's MUCH easier to repair a leg (and the article even said it is RARE for rear facing) than a neck injury is.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I didn't know the importance of rfing when my son was born almost 7 years ago so he was ff at 12 months.
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting RobinBright:

I don't understand the people who DO have access to the factual information, and choose to ignore it.  Legitimate ignorance is one thing-- when you actually don't know any better and do what you think is right.... Stubborn rejection of fact is just selfish and stupid.  

Children ARE safer RF.  Their legs will NOT break.  "It's better for our family" does not outweight the laws of physics.  Your two year old was NOT too big unless they were literally the size of an average 5 year old.  Just own up and admit "I don't care to keep my child as safe as I can."

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM

blah blah blah blah.... I followed the law.  My kid never came to any harm, I'm good with my parenting decisions.

angel_peanut
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM

we don't go to far to often either especially in the winter cause i hate the cold! but i totally agree cars are made so shitty now which is why DH and i both drive older cars made before they decided to build cars out of plastic 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know! Cars are made so shitty now. Meh, I don't really ever have the kids in the car. Once a week if they're lucky. My car stays clean that way and the kids get exercise.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Or the high car speeds and the cars were made more solid.

Quoting Anonymous:

We also didn't have all of the distractions we do nowadays.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting angel_peanut:

i would love to know how we all survived our childhood?

We were very lucky. (Not being sarcastic)

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you know what saved mine and my mothers life when we were t-boned by truck going 80 mph? Our SEATBELTS! The fact that we were using them correctly and that they were AVAILABLE.

If we had small children in our car without carseats, they wouldn't have survived and probably would have been ejected from the car. I nearly was and I was 5'5" tall and weighed 110lbs.

Why are you so against protecting children? Why wouldn't you want to rear face to the maximum, harness them to the maximum and booster then to the maximum? Why wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to make sure they are as safe as possible?

Quoting angel_peanut:

That's a whole lot of luck with the amount of "rules " we have now that didn't exist then

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting angel_peanut:

We were very lucky. (Not being sarcastic)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM
While I agree with ERF I do so bc I researched. The AAP isn't why I do what I do. In fact I disagree on some issues. The AAP isn't god.
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Please go to findagrave.com and stroll through the graves on there....you will see that a good number of people who grew up with us in the "well I survived" generation really didn't! There's so many under 10 who died because of car accidents and not all of them were terribly bad.

Quoting angel_peanut:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdoptingMommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM
at a yr old my dd was 44llbs & 36 inches... she is 2, 42 inches & 50 lbs... I spoke with her pedi, and fire dept for her plan. I worry but no rear facing goes to those weights/heights

****** She has a medical condition so she will continue to grow & NO ITS NOT FROM FOOD!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I absolutely hate this arguement....because I survived, I should risk my child. Complete nonsense. As mothers we should want to do the very best for our children, which includes keeping them as safe as we can in a vechile.

Quoting angel_peanut:

RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I get the situation-- but still, you made the decision to put convenience (stop the yelling) over safety.  That's your call.  As parents of toddlers, we make them do lots of things that they don't want-- it is part of parenting.   My younger guy screamed bloody murder through every bath from the time he was 18 months until almost 2-- but for those six months, I still bathed him regularly.  I'm the parent, I made the decision that bathing was more important than quiet-- and I feel the same way about the car.  Safety is more important than quiet.  Shrug. 

Quoting Anonymous:

wow.  that's not fair.  my 22 month old was ff at 19 months.  even though she seemed cramped, i wasn't worried that her legs would break.  i ff only because she screamed constantly and tried to look to the front of the car.  would that screaming have killed her?  of course not...but it was driving me nuts. it got to where i would try to find a sitter rather than take her anywhere.  one day, i decided i couldn't take it anymore...flipped her car seat around & she loved it.  of course, i care about her safety, but her screaming was affecting our day to day routine.  my older child was ff at 1 year per the recommendations of the time. 

Quoting RobinBright:

I don't understand the people who DO have access to the factual information, and choose to ignore it.  Legitimate ignorance is one thing-- when you actually don't know any better and do what you think is right.... Stubborn rejection of fact is just selfish and stupid.  

Children ARE safer RF.  Their legs will NOT break.  "It's better for our family" does not outweight the laws of physics.  Your two year old was NOT too big unless they were literally the size of an average 5 year old.  Just own up and admit "I don't care to keep my child as safe as I can."

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN