Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The lack of car seat knowledge

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is amazing.
Here is a link explaining WHY the AAP says to rear face until AT LEAST 2 years old.

http://www.earlyinterventionsupport.com/parentingtips/safety/rearfacingcarseats.aspx

Now, stop using the "they will break their leg" excuse.
It's MUCH easier to repair a leg (and the article even said it is RARE for rear facing) than a neck injury is.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
angel_peanut
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

that is a even better question! according to todays studies our parent and there parents before that probably should have never survived for us to be created and having this conversation!

Quoting mary841108:

Reading some of these 'new studies' i'd like to know that too. Better yet, how did  our parents and grandparents and great grandparents survive? everyone is so freaking crazy and stressed about parenting now days its like "do you even take time to enjoy it or are you constantly panicking about the sugar in the juice, the dirt on the grass and the processed whatever in the cheerios?" calm down calm down.

By the way; my kids were in a front facing seat before they turned one, then again that was years ago, but if i were to have another baby it too would be front facing as soon as its legs were all scrunched up.

i would love to know how we all survived our childhood?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting angel_peanut:

I know, right? My husband told me his mom put him in a laundry basket when he was a young toddler! In a laundry basket on the floor in the back seat. It is a wonder he is alive.

RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a HUGE difference between genuinely "not knowing better" vs knowing better, but choosing to ignore it.   FF to 12 months is way better than FF to 8 months.  You did what you knew. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't know the importance of rfing when my son was born almost 7 years ago so he was ff at 12 months.

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

mary841108
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

This is what i drive (except mine is red) i'm honestly not worried about some little prius or other itty bitty car or even a van doing much damage to my beast:

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously. The, "how did we all survive?" question, sheesh. Cars were made of metal back in the day, sturdy metal. Everything is made out of damn plastic today.
I don't see why so many parents have a problem keeping their child RF longer. Just.do.it.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Yep, same thing here. 15 yr old DD was in a booster until 8 1/2. Most people I know thought I was crazy for rear facing after 9 months with both kids.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Soo glad we are over the car seat stage.  DD is 15 now.  We rear faced until she was 1 year, that was the recommendation then.  And she used a booster seat until she was almost 9.  We were probably the only family at the school who used the booster seat until that old, but we were following the NHTA recommendations (booster til 80 lbs and 4'9" tall).

LaughingCheetah
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM
With my first 3 I kept them RF until about 18 months.....but I didn't know shit about ERF at the time or anything. My youngest (and 4th) is turning 1 in 2 days and we plan to RF him for at least another year....maybe 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM
The one that appalls me is when parents will say "I'm the parent, I will decide when to turn them" when I try to educate them about how their infant is riding illegally. (This one person had their 6 month old twins FF in expired, crappy car seats, with belly clips and loose, twisted straps. This person actually argued with me that their kids were perfectly safe. Are you fucking kidding me?!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Many didn't. That's why they have changed the car seat and change the recommendations .

The used to say the best thing for a burn is butter. People survived but since we know better now we don't do it. New information gives way to new behaviors.

Quoting angel_peanut:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Back when our great grandparents and grandparents were young cars weren't as dangerous.
They didn't go as fast as they do now and there wasn't as many distractions.

Quoting angel_peanut:

that is a even better question! according to todays studies our parent and there parents before that probably should have never survived for us to be created and having this conversation!

Quoting mary841108:

Reading some of these 'new studies' i'd like to know that too. Better yet, how did  our parents and grandparents and great grandparents survive? everyone is so freaking crazy and stressed about parenting now days its like "do you even take time to enjoy it or are you constantly panicking about the sugar in the juice, the dirt on the grass and the processed whatever in the cheerios?" calm down calm down.

By the way; my kids were in a front facing seat before they turned one, then again that was years ago, but if i were to have another baby it too would be front facing as soon as its legs were all scrunched up.

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The screaming might have killed her. Distracted drivers are one of the leading causes of car accidents. It isn't safe for any one for the driver to be distracted by a screaming toddler. That's why I turned my child around, too. She's been fine in the car since.

Quoting Anonymous:

wow.  that's not fair.  my 22 month old was ff at 19 months.  even though she seemed cramped, i wasn't worried that her legs would break.  i ff only because she screamed constantly and tried to look to the front of the car.  would that screaming have killed her?  of course not...but it was driving me nuts. it got to where i would try to find a sitter rather than take her anywhere.  one day, i decided i couldn't take it anymore...flipped her car seat around & she loved it.  of course, i care about her safety, but her screaming was affecting our day to day routine.  my older child was ff at 1 year per the recommendations of the time. 

Quoting RobinBright:

I don't understand the people who DO have access to the factual information, and choose to ignore it.  Legitimate ignorance is one thing-- when you actually don't know any better and do what you think is right.... Stubborn rejection of fact is just selfish and stupid.  

Children ARE safer RF.  Their legs will NOT break.  "It's better for our family" does not outweight the laws of physics.  Your two year old was NOT too big unless they were literally the size of an average 5 year old.  Just own up and admit "I don't care to keep my child as safe as I can."

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)