Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Routine circumcision of babies.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 191 Replies
11 moms liked this

There is NO medical reason for routine medical circumcision of boys or girls! Uncircumcised girls have more UTI's than uncircumcised boys, yet we just offer antibiotics **IF** they even develop an infection! Why would we do anything less for our sons?!  

It does not reduce the odds of contracting STD's or HIV- abstaining, having a monogamous relationship or using condoms do, whether the male is circumcised or not! A word to the wise, any medical professional who can have a discussion about reducing the spread of STD's and HIV without using the words "abstain" or "monogamous" or "condom" is trying to sell you something! 

You want baby to look like Dad... Why don't you start him Rogaine to get his hair fuller, before he even leaves the hospital or have rhinoplasty to make sure their noses match before you guys go home?! Those are cosmetic reasons and procedures- not medical.

You have a religious reason (practicing Judaism or Muslim. There is no valid reason, from a religious perspective, for a Christian to circumcise, as it was under Mosaic law, which is no longer practiced). Great. Under Mosaic law, circumcision happened on the eighth day and was a prick. A minor cut. The Hebrew word for circumcision is not "REMOVE" it is "TRIM". It was a small gesture of a covenant. Not the full removal of a functioning body part. That type of circumcision did not come around until much, much later during the Victorian Era. If a person is going to follow the laws set forth by God, why would they not practice in the way He saw fit, which was a small slit- not a medical circumcision- which is the full removal of the foreskin? Why would God create a part of the body in His image, to have cut off completely? Babies who had their entire foreskin removed during the time before Christ would have had extreme risk of infection and death, since there was not the access to clean water and sterlization of equipment or the ability to give a blood transfusion should the child bleed severely. This is further indication the form of medical circumcision we practice today, is not the same practiced in the Torah. 

That is all. For now. Have a great day! If you chose to, then that is your legal right to decide for your son, if you reside in the United States. Cool beans. Just know, that there are not medical reasons for this course of action and that it is merely a comestic procedure. I am not bashing. I circumcised my first son. I really, thought it was necessary. No, I have no bleedin' heart story of death and/or destruction and/or medical complications. It is something I wish I had not decided for him, once I did more research. If you have done your research and came to a different conclusion, then I wish you well and have no ill-intent. 

http://www.circumcision.org/aap.htm

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/11/jack-black-on-circumcision.html?m=1

http://www.laurelofleaves.com/2011/10/modern-circumcision-is-not-necessary-natural-or-biblical/  

http://barreloforanges.com/2012/07/17/the-unspoken-aspects-of-having-a-foreskin-a-guest-post-by-life-intact/  

http://www.facebook.com/groups/519580908070092/doc/519615404733309/

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2011/11/27/the-circumcision-decision/ 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM
6 moms liked this

why do you care if my son has a foreskin?   Don't you need to clean behind your fridge or something?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Shut up
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Both of my boys are circumsized and I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Blah blah blah....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't. You didn't read my post, did you?! 

Quoting SterlingHeart:

why do you care if my son has a foreskin?   Don't you need to clean behind your fridge or something?  

Proud-mama-05
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Yes what she said lol

Quoting SterlingHeart:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

and how many mom do you really think are going to  listen to you in this group??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

IloveNCIS
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
4 moms liked this

Why it's done

By Mayo Clinic staff

Circumcision is a religious or cultural ritual for many Jewish and Islamic families, as well as certain aboriginal tribes in Africa and Australia. Circumcision can also be a matter of family tradition, personal hygiene or preventive health care. Sometimes there's a medical need for circumcision, such as when the foreskin is too tight to be pulled back (retracted) over the glans. In other cases, particularly in certain parts of Africa, circumcision is recommended for older boys or men to reduce the risk of certain sexually transmitted infections.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. However, the AAP doesn't recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns. The AAP leaves the circumcision decision up to parents — and supports use of anesthetics for infants who have the procedure.

Circumcision might have various health benefits, including:

• Easier hygiene. Circumcision makes it simpler to wash the penis. Washing beneath the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis is generally easy, however.
  • Decreased risk of urinary tract infections. The overall risk of urinary tract infections in males is low, but these infections are more common in uncircumcised males. Severe infections early in life can lead to kidney problems later on.
  • Decreased risk of sexually transmitted infections. Circumcised men might have a lower risk of certain sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. Still, safe sexual practices remain essential.
  • Prevention of penile problems. Occasionally, the foreskin on an uncircumcised penis can be difficult or impossible to retract (phimosis). This can lead to inflammation of the foreskin or head of the penis.
  • Decreased risk of penile cancer. Although cancer of the penis is rare, it's less common in circumcised men. In addition, cervical cancer is less common in the female sexual partners of circumcised men.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/circumcision/MY01023/DSECTION=why-its-done. I think I will listen to the Mayo clinic over the websites you provided.........Really Facebook?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Lol! Did you even read my post. If you have done this, cool beans... Take care! : ) 

Quoting Proud-mama-05:

Yes what she said lol

Quoting SterlingHeart:

SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

yeah i did ---  but still don't' see the point of these let me educate you posts..... thats all 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't. You didn't read my post, did you?! 

Quoting SterlingHeart:

SterlingHeart

"these ramblings courtesy of a mom over 40"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)