Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This is how my DS things his little brother was born.

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Not long after we told my 3 year old DS I was pregnant and that he had a little brother growing in my belly he started asking questions. I bought a book that explained the process. His exact question was "Mommy how will my baby brother get out of your belly? Your belly doesn't have any doors!"

I didn't lie to him, but simply told him that when his brother was ready to come out I would go to the hospital and the doctors would help get him out. He was fine with that answer. 

Well... after our newest addition came home from the hospital he asked more questions. He specifically wanted to know why the baby had a boo-boo on his belly. I told him that when the baby was in my belly he was connected to me through a cord and once he was born, he was cut from the cord and now it has to heal. I told him that eventually it would fall off and he would have a belly button. He was actually mad at my DH for a little while for cutting the cord and giving his brother a boo-boo. But then I explained to him that he had to in order to get the baby out and that DH helped the doctor. He still didn't forgive DH until the cord stump fell off and he saw everything was okay. 

Anyways.. 

3 weeks later DS is still asking questions and is coming up with his own idea of how his brother got here. 

He now seems to think that DH and the doctor pulled the baby out of my belly button using the cord, and then DH cut it. He told this to me like he was telling me some crazy adventure. 

Then he asked me if the cord was still in my belly so more babies could climb out.. LOL. 

I told him that the cord came out with his baby brother. 

He asked what happened to it. 

I told him they threw it away at the hospital because it was yucky. 

Oh my goodness. 

The mind of a three year old. 

When he told me his version of how his baby brother got here, he didn't ask me if that is what really happened he said in a matter of fact sort of way. 

But my point is... should I correct him or let him keep believing this is what happened?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

LOL, just let him believe that is what happend. 

brittany208
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I think most parents do just let their LOs believe whatever they want and answer questions as they come up.

Although I, too, have a three year old and am pregnant with his little brother and I've been thinking over the last couple days that it would be just so much easier to tell him the truth now. Bc I could tell him "baby comes out of a hole in between mommy's legs" and he would just accept it very matter-of-fact. but when he gets to the age when people normally have these kinds of conversations, then he'll think its gross.

but i think DH would NOT be pleased if I started getting into detail about things 3yos generally aren't supposed to know about yet. we will see...

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I was thinking that I would probably do this. 

He is just so stinking funny. I don't know where he came up with this. 

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

If he's satisfied with that let it go.  If you had a C-section he's half way there.  LOL.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

LOL, from what you told him he seems to have used his imagination to come up with his own version of it. No harm done. Cracks me up! 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I was thinking that I would probably do this. 

He is just so stinking funny. I don't know where he came up with this. 

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Proud-mama-05
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Just let it go and let him believe that's what happened. It's adorable and he'll find out soon enough lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Yeah, my DS Dad (who ironically is also having another baby - we are divorced) vetoed the idea of telling him the truth. 

I bought a really good book at Barnes and Noble though. It talked all about how Mommy has belly squeezes and those squeezes tell Mommy it is time to go to the hospital. 

I think it is called Baby On the Way. 

Quoting brittany208:

I think most parents do just let their LOs believe whatever they want and answer questions as they come up.

Although I, too, have a three year old and am pregnant with his little brother and I've been thinking over the last couple days that it would be just so much easier to tell him the truth now. Bc I could tell him "baby comes out of a hole in between mommy's legs" and he would just accept it very matter-of-fact. but when he gets to the age when people normally have these kinds of conversations, then he'll think its gross.

but i think DH would NOT be pleased if I started getting into detail about things 3yos generally aren't supposed to know about yet. we will see...

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Nope. No c-section. 

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

If he's satisfied with that let it go.  If you had a C-section he's half way there.  LOL.

simplyamazing3
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

let him believe it

ashybaby87
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
i would just let him go with that answer. I think it's cute. lol. besides, its like his own way of understanding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN