Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make up your fricken mind am I a over protective mom or a bad mom!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have a friend who has kids around the same age as mine.  I do not make comments about how she is raising her children. She is always telling me I'm over protective of my four kids, for things like they all wear a braclet that can be taken apart to use as a emergency rope, they never go out to play in the winter without changing into winter clothes (non-cotten), they always have a day pack with them that has extra non cotton socks, first aid kit, water bottle, compass along with a few small other things.  She thinks its wierd that we keep a box in our car that has a spare pair of shoes for everyone, along with a bigger first aid kit and walkie talkies.  that said ok maybe we are over protective but since we like to beable to go hicking if we see a path way and are not always wearing the correct footwear it makes since for our family.

Today she found out that I'am allowing my 16 year old to go on a winter survival camping trip where he is pair up with one younger boy and one his own age. They need to bring everything they need including food, cookware, ect. with them and have to beable to carry their own gear.  They planned for their group and while their will be other groups going with they need to take care of themselfs.  Now I'm a bad parent, its going to be below 0 where they are camping, they have chosen to dig out sleeping places in the snow instead of useing a tent.  All three boys have been camping year round for two years, know how to dress for warmth, know how to start a fire in any weather, and all know first aid.  

I just dont get her I dont see how I can be over protective and a bad parent. Pick one and stick to it!  I told her that which did not go over to well I really dont care.  I stated that I would not have a issue with any of my children going on this trip as they all have the skills they need.  There will be four adults going with in case an emergency happens.  Then she states I dont think I want you watching my kids if ypou put your own kids in danger like this.  Great I said I wont watch your kids, but just so you know I would never let your kids go on or do half the stuff I let my kids do as your kids do not have the proper training and skills it would take.

I have been friends with her since childhood, and have just let all her other comments go in one ear and out the other but this time I just could not.  Im hoping we can talk about it later and that this does not end a 30 year friendship.

Sorry need to vent!

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I don't think you're a bad parent.

My kids wouldn't go, but we don't do winter lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Myhumblestart
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
The braclet thing sounds kinda overprotective as does the clothes thing to me but not bad.I have some things I'm overprotective on too.IMO in regards to your son and the camping trip is you know him best and I'm sure you wouldn't let him go if you weren't sure he'd be ok.Sounds like a great experience if he's not a first timer.Don't let her bother you.Hope your son has fun.The stopping and hiking sounds awesome.I can't do much physical activity anymore but I used to love to do that.I kept my gear in my car too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gravercem
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

The braclets were a gift from my brother and yes can sound a little over the top I know. Our kids love to go on backpacking trips and other outdoor activities, our oldest is on his second braclet as he used his first to throw down a line to a friend who had slipped on a trail by our house and wound up on a very steep hillside.  Thanks I figured I might wait a day or two before calling her.

Quoting Myhumblestart:

The braclet thing sounds kinda overprotective as does the clothes thing to me but not bad.I have some things I'm overprotective on too.IMO in regards to your son and the camping trip is you know him best and I'm sure you wouldn't let him go if you weren't sure he'd be ok.Sounds like a great experience if he's not a first timer.Don't let her bother you.Hope your son has fun.The stopping and hiking sounds awesome.I can't do much physical activity anymore but I used to love to do that.I kept my gear in my car too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured