Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 2 month old stops breathing at night. **UPDATE**

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM
J3
  • 35 Replies

I have a two month old DD.  When she was born and still in the hospital my DH went over to pick her up out of the bassinet and noticed she wasn't breathing.  She was thrashing around and trying to breath so he quick picked her up and she started breathing again.  This happened a couple more times since then but not for awhile.  Last night she was sleeping in my arms and I woke up to her thrashing around with her eyes wide open.  I sat up with her and patted her on the back and after a few seconds she took in a huge breath of air and started crying.  Then she stopped breathing a couple more times as I was holding her and she was crying a little.  

I am waiting for a call back from the doctor.  Do you think it could be apnea?  I'm terrified of SIDS!  It was a good thing I was holding her last night!

The doctor called back and said that as long as she doesn't go for 20 seconds without breathing then it can be normal and just due to "floppy airway".  If it was for at least 20 seconds then it could be apnea.  I am not so sure about this.  If she was not in my arms I would not have heard her and would not have sat her up and got her breathing again.  What do you think? Do you like the doctors explanation?  I don't. 

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be at the hospital. Heck I might have called 911 last night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

And you didn't think to take her to the ER?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Hmmm. Up to half of newborns stop breathing for several seconds during their regular sleep cycle, but it's not supposed to continue past about a month to six weeks. It's called periodic breathing... But it doesn't sound like your baby has that OR apnea. If she was awake and struggling to breathe (or woken because of being unable to breathe) odds are it's something else, but I have no idea what. The handful of people I've known who have had apnea never woke up because of it, it just took them a second to start again...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I wouldn't wait for a doctor's call if I were you... If she only does it while asleep she'll probably need a sleep study done... I think they only do that in a hospital or sleep center...
deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Omg. Freaks me out reading about it so I can only imagine what you are/were thinking. Hopefully everything is ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM

sounds like sleep apnea to me. my BIL has it. has to use a CPAP machine at night.

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I would be at er but good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Not sure, here's a bump.  That scares the shit out of me which is why I sleep with my babies.  It's just not natural for me to be away from them that little.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Not sure, but I am praying for you. How terrifying! I hope the doctors figure out what it is soon.

hopeym23
by J3 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Bump for update.

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)