Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
i will try to make this short. looking for advice. daughter had her car at work. she was in the building working. a milk truck hit her car and damaged it pretty good. got 2 estimates both for about 1500. adjuster came to look at car. called husband and told him they would give 1037. i called lady and kind of argued with her. she said that is what adjuster said it would take to fix car. i asked her does he own a body shop. she said he is a proffesional. yea right. please give me advice on what to do. thanks in advance. i also called a couple lawyers and they could not help me cause no one was injured.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mommytotwins44
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM
there is no deductable i think. the insurance company of the milk truck is responsible for all repair. the insurance is who was responsible for the company trucks. that is the way i understand it.

Quoting opal10161973:

Is that the amount AFTER the deductible?  If the deductible is $500, then that is right.  She would be responsible for the first $500 and they would be responsible for the amount after that. 

Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this

You should never deal with the other guys insurance company directly.  You call YOUR insurance company and provide them with police reports, then they contact the other insurance company and work on your behalf.  Why are you doing this yourself?  Of course they will screw you.

AmyD43
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM
If the body shop you take it to determines it costs more then the body shop calls insurance co who then sends appraiser out again and the appraiser then writes another check to the body shop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM
If its the insurance frim the milk truck, there wouldn't be a deductible.

Quoting opal10161973:

Is that the amount AFTER the deductible?  If the deductible is $500, then that is right.  She would be responsible for the first $500 and they would be responsible for the amount after that. 

Mommytotwins44
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM
i di not know that. the insurance company of the truck just bean calling us and told us to get an estimate. i will go to my car insurance on monday. we have nationwide insurance. so i will take the police report in there and ask her to help me. is that right?

Quoting Val99:

You should never deal with the other guys insurance company directly.  You call YOUR insurance company and provide them with police reports, then they contact the other insurance company and work on your behalf.  Why are you doing this yourself?  Of course they will screw you.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Do you not have comprehensive on yours? Isn't that ehat covers you without your rate increasing.

Go to clarkhoward.com
opal10161973
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM

If her insurance company has not been alerted to the damage, then who is going to fight for her rights in this one?  THEY are the ones who should be arguing with the other insurance comapny and you shouldn't have to do a thing.  I hope a police report was filed.

Quoting Mommytotwins44:

there is no deductable i think. the insurance company of the milk truck is responsible for all repair. the insurance is who was responsible for the company trucks. that is the way i understand it.

Quoting opal10161973:

Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM

That is what I would do.  I have always worked with my insurance company because they will give me advice on how to get through it with the most funds.  They can act as your advocate.  I had an accident (someone slid into my rear in the snow) and I never dealt with their insurance.

Quoting Mommytotwins44:

i di not know that. the insurance company of the truck just bean calling us and told us to get an estimate. i will go to my car insurance on monday. we have nationwide insurance. so i will take the police report in there and ask her to help me. is that right?

Quoting Val99:

tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Quoting opal10161973:

She should call the insurance company of the milk truck that hit her. If it is not her fault, there should be no deductible. The deductible only applies if you go through your own insurance company. We were hit a couple of days ago in a parking lot. The insurance company of the person who hit us has to pay for everything. If you can't locate the insurance company representing the milk truck, then your insurance company will pay if you have full coverage and you have to pay the deductible. 

There have been times when the actual repair costs are higher than the estimate. 

The garage where the repair is being made will then call the insurance and try to work it out. The other thing that can enter the picture is the value of the car. If the estimate is within a certain percentage of the value of the car, they will "total" the car and only give you blue book value since the cost to repair is not cost effective.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Whenever that's happened they have said that if the shop ends up charging more then they will pay it.

Op what insurance does the milk truc have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)