Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do women continue to be SAHM after the kids start school? *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

Most women choose to be a SAHM mom so they can be there with the kids, right?  They say being a SAHM is a tough job, WHICH I AGREE with when the kids are there. So after the kids start school, why do they stay home? Just curious is all?

***EDIT***

This was honsetly a general question. I was not insulting SAHM. Just take a deep breath or a couple Xanax and calm down. I am not here to judge or fight with anyone. It was proven though, that it does not matter if you are a SAHM or a working mom... Some just never grow the FU!$ up. We are all moms here. We raise our children the way WE choose to. Unless a parent is completely neglecting their child or harming them in any way or just plain lazy, then there should be no judgement. I guess you could call me nosey or whatever, I dont care. Some of you need to put your big girl panties on and not take everything so personal.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
_cloudy_
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Because they're lazy, duh. They can say whatever, but unless you're disabled or work from home, there's no reason you can't bring a little more into your and your family's life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this

It's difficult to find a job that has 'school hours' and makes any kind of decent money, unless you were already in an established career that is flexible, before you became a sahm. Why work just to work?  I think that school age is actually one of the more crucial times to be a sahm. Then you are available to volunteer with the school, and are home to supervise and help your children after school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh lawd! This is another post that will start drama just cuz ppl ask the most nosey questions. Get a life!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

To be able to volunteer at the school at lot.

Jcouch99
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I will probably continue to be a SAHMafter all of my children are in school for the simple reason that I don't need to work. I start voulenteering at a no-kill shelter in a few weeks. I imagine that oncekids are in school I'll spend more time doing that (assuming I'm still there), plus I'll always be available to chaperon feild trips and do the room mom thing.I'llbe available to help friends also,if they need a sitter for instance.

babiegurl47
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Because its not a law to have to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Mostly because I want to. I practiced law for ten years before my son was born and if I never see the inside of a courtroom again, that is okay with me!

I don't want to have to deal with getting out of work on days like today, when I am home with a vomiting child. 

My husband is an ER physician.  He earns a great income.  Any income that I earned would be taxed at nearly 50% between federal/state income taxes and Social Security/Medicare.   We like to travel and dealing with two works schedules would be a pain.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

To be here for homework and I want to.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Summers off, being there to see them off and pick them up, being there on their days (many days) off, being able to volunteer at the school...you get the idea. Also, I know a few sahm's who volunteer other places while their kids are at school, organize field trips, fund raisers and pta stuff for the school, volunteer for stuff with their kids extra curricular activities. There are a lot of things a mother of school age kids can do besides watch soaps and eat chocolate. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

what the hell ever

Quoting _cloudy_:

Because they're lazy, duh. They can say whatever, but unless you're disabled or work from home, there's no reason you can't bring a little more into your and your family's life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)