Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do women continue to be SAHM after the kids start school? *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

Most women choose to be a SAHM mom so they can be there with the kids, right?  They say being a SAHM is a tough job, WHICH I AGREE with when the kids are there. So after the kids start school, why do they stay home? Just curious is all?

***EDIT***

This was honsetly a general question. I was not insulting SAHM. Just take a deep breath or a couple Xanax and calm down. I am not here to judge or fight with anyone. It was proven though, that it does not matter if you are a SAHM or a working mom... Some just never grow the FU!$ up. We are all moms here. We raise our children the way WE choose to. Unless a parent is completely neglecting their child or harming them in any way or just plain lazy, then there should be no judgement. I guess you could call me nosey or whatever, I dont care. Some of you need to put your big girl panties on and not take everything so personal.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Replies (571-578):
LadyF86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Do u live in a small town?

Quoting Anonymous:

Our school does not have transportation so I have to drive them and pick them up.  Plus, we have a very busy schedule of extra-curricular activities.  It would be virtually impossible for me to have a job unless I had one on weekends or between the hours of 8:15-2:45.

Plus, I don't want to have a job and I don't have to.  My husband makes plenty of money at least imo.  He made around $300K last year. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM

It's a town of about 30,000 people.  My kids go to private school.

Quoting LadyF86:

Quoting Anonymous:

Our school does not have transportation so I have to drive them and pick them up.  Plus, we have a very busy schedule of extra-curricular activities.  It would be virtually impossible for me to have a job unless I had one on weekends or between the hours of 8:15-2:45.

Plus, I don't want to have a job and I don't have to.  My husband makes plenty of money at least imo.  He made around $300K last year. 

LadyF86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Oh ok. Not too small but the private school explains the no transportation.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a town of about 30,000 people.  My kids go to private school.

Quoting LadyF86:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Because we don't need the money. Why would I take a job, just to have something to do and take a job away from someone that might really need it?

I stay busy with other activities.
JOEJULA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Dang girl you are getting some rude remarks here from the CM members. I stay at home because I dont want to pay for after school care and what not. Also, when I was working full time it was to hard when the kids were sick. Anyways, I could go back to work I just choose not to because I dont have to. Point blank. I do stuff around the house and volunteer at the kids school. YOu know the usual.

LadyF86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Ha. No joke. I'm about ready to delete the damn post. I didn't realize it was such a touchy subject for some.

Quoting JOEJULA:

Dang girl you are getting some rude remarks here from the CM members. I stay at home because I dont want to pay for after school care and what not. Also, when I was working full time it was to hard when the kids were sick. Anyways, I could go back to work I just choose not to because I dont have to. Point blank. I do stuff around the house and volunteer at the kids school. YOu know the usual.

alexis34
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

So waitressing gigs only go 180 days a year? Really? Lol I don't see many employers giving ALL the school days off.

Quoting alexis34:

Quoting KairisMama:

What job should they get? Kids are only in school 180 days a year, for 6.5 to 7.5 hours a day. Unless she works at the kid's school, she's looking at after school care for non school hours and days off. Trust me, most school positions (lunch helpers, aides, etc - ARE FILLED).

How about a waitressing job working lunch shifts a couple days a week?  Or are some SAHM's  too "above" that?

I didnt say a full time job...a couple days a week so you would earn some extra income for your family and be somewhat independent.  There is also WEEKENDS during the summer while your kids are out of school.  All I hear is excuse after excuse on why someone cant hold even a 16 hr a week job!  

My husband makes a comfortable salary to where I probably could stay at home (I did for the first year after my daughter was born).  However, I could not imagine not earning my own money when I am an able bodied person that CAN work!  In addition, if I gave every excuse in the book why I WONT work (won't...not can't), what would I be teaching my daughter?  That it's okay not to go to college and get a degree because she wont need it?  To have no self reliance and to live off of a man?  Do you honestly think that's okay?

We often hear stories of bosses leaving their wives for their secretaries.  I wonder how many of those jilted wives had jobs...hmmm.

mom2klca
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

There are many things you can do for yourself and society that don't include having a paying job.  It's better for your kids to see you doing things that make you feel happy and fulfilled than it is for them to see you work a job just because that what society thinks we are "supposed" to do.

Quoting _cloudy_:

Quoting mom2klca:

"To bring a little more" of what exactly? Money? if you don't need the money, why work when you could be doing things that actually contribute to the well being of your family? 

Quoting _cloudy_:

Because they're lazy, duh. They can say whatever, but unless you're disabled or work from home, there's no reason you can't bring a little more into your and your family's life.

As in society. How do you expect your children to look up to you, if all you do is stay at home, clean, hobbies, whatever. The extra money is good, yeah, but how about doing something more for yourself?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured