Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody Agreement

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
I think EVERY single parent who has a child and the other parent is actively involved in that child's life should have a custody agreement.

I hear nothing but problems from those who don't have a custody agreement. The only issue I have ever had with DD's father was when he harassed me for close to six months and I finally called the police.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Bump
1likeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I agree with you for the most part. Co parents who have constant issues regarding custody do need to have a court ordered parenting plan. It is not always a high conflict situation though.

My first ex was the perfect example of needing a parenting plan. Over the years it has protected me when my ex has taken me back to court.

With my second ex we communicate and we are both flexible with the kids. Even when we get a parenting plan put together I doubt we will follow it because a written in stone agreement will probably never truly work for the both of us. I appreciate the co parenting relationship I have with my second ex though because it's much easier on the kids and on the both of us. Neither one of us feels like we are getting screwed and that makes it much easier to work with each other when it comes to our children.
brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
With DD's dad and I, it was difficult at first especially with the harassment, but over time, things got easier and we changed things so that they better suit us.

A male friend of mine was whining and bitching earlier about how the mother of his child was taking his child to a man's house and then my friend got ticked off when I told him there is nothing he can do and the only way he can change anything is if there is a custody agreement in place.

I just really think a custody agreement should be in place because otherwise (if the parents cannot remain in good standing for their children) things get messy and people end up pissed off.

I'm glad things are working better for you the second time around.

Quoting 1likeme:

I agree with you for the most part. Co parents who have constant issues regarding custody do need to have a court ordered parenting plan. It is not always a high conflict situation though.

My first ex was the perfect example of needing a parenting plan. Over the years it has protected me when my ex has taken me back to court.

With my second ex we communicate and we are both flexible with the kids. Even when we get a parenting plan put together I doubt we will follow it because a written in stone agreement will probably never truly work for the both of us. I appreciate the co parenting relationship I have with my second ex though because it's much easier on the kids and on the both of us. Neither one of us feels like we are getting screwed and that makes it much easier to work with each other when it comes to our children.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
To get cs you have to have a parenting plan on file. To divorce.. you have to have a parenting plan on file... if you have neither.. you're asking for trouble
Luna091306
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

What do you mean by custody agreement?

1likeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Quoting brittanyjenean:

As far as your friend is concerned he can't stop his ex from bringing their child to anyone's house. That's something that would only be in a custody agreement if both parties agree to it. Sadly he doesn't have a say in those aspects of his EX's life. His ex also can't make demands like that about his time with his child.

Part of the reason my second co parenting relationship works so well is because my ex had a front row seat to the antics of my fist husband and how his behavior affected my oldest child. He does not want that kind of situation for our children and neither do I.
brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Exactly.

Quoting cLanief:

To get cs you have to have a parenting plan on file. To divorce.. you have to have a parenting plan on file... if you have neither.. you're asking for trouble

brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
By custody agreement I mean everything that comes along with being a parent, what is best for the child, paramour clause, behaviors that are acceptable while the child is in either parent's care, etc.

Quoting Luna091306:

What do you mean by custody agreement?

brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
That's what I tried to explain to him, however, I get jumped on for being honest.

Well that's great y'all are that way. I wish my parents could get along as well as my ex and I do. My mom insists I do this and that, but it's one of those "Don't fix it if it's not broke."

Quoting 1likeme:

Quoting brittanyjenean:

As far as your friend is concerned he can't stop his ex from bringing their child to anyone's house. That's something that would only be in a custody agreement if both parties agree to it. Sadly he doesn't have a say in those aspects of his EX's life. His ex also can't make demands like that about his time with his child.

Part of the reason my second co parenting relationship works so well is because my ex had a front row seat to the antics of my fist husband and how his behavior affected my oldest child. He does not want that kind of situation for our children and neither do I.

1CopaceticMama
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I think custody agreements are great CYA's. But just like a restraining order they don't prevent anything to happen. It just makes it a little easier to prosecute if broken. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured