Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

In the military...

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
  • 7 Replies

Do you think a woman leaving the field of war when in the military because she is pregnant is a cop out?  Or do you think she is being responsible? 

I read this type of comment on FB today and it kind of offended me.  I personally would feel it was my responsibility to at least remove myself from possibly hostile situations for the safety of my child, who did not choose that life or that risk.  Definitely not leave the career though,  Thoughts?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

It is a cop out if she intentionally got pregnant so that she could leave.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Depends on if she got pregnant on purpose or not. I've know women who have to get out of deployments but I've also known women who were deployed and pregnancy wasn't their choice. So, if you do it on purpose you're a coward really.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taeray
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I suppose this could be true but only someone who knows the whole story could really make such a comment.  But to make such a broad spectrum judgement of just "military women" in general also feels like a great insult.

Quoting RMB2011:

Depends on if she got pregnant on purpose or not. I've know women who have to get out of deployments but I've also known women who were deployed and pregnancy wasn't their choice. So, if you do it on purpose you're a coward really.

nbgg8687
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I know many women who have left to take care of the family. Im sure your aware that you cant be sent to war being pregnant, if you happen to get pregnant... which you shouldnt while in a hostile area and they find out, you are in some doo doo and they send you home. But they test you before you go. Many choose to leave for the security of being there after birth

taeray
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM

According to the statistic this person put out there, 3x more women leave the field of war than men and 74% of the time it's because of pregnancy.  I didn't have a way to check this out myself but sounds like in general it's a tough situation, especially if it's an accident.

Quoting nbgg8687:

I know many women who have left to take care of the family. Im sure your aware that you cant be sent to war being pregnant, if you happen to get pregnant... which you shouldnt while in a hostile area and they find out, you are in some doo doo and they send you home. But they test you before you go. Many choose to leave for the security of being there after birth

nbgg8687
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure it was an accident. I don't think anyone would want to be pregnant in that situation. But thats why they have rules when you are in war. You are not allowed to have sex... men and women. I think in most cases, getting pregnant while in the midst of war is highly frowned upon-ed and depending on how many offenses you already have it may lead to an article 15 or even get you chapter-ed. I have a friend who was in the military and decided to leave because she wanted a family. When its dual spouses though, you MUST have a for sure family plan. Its not easy. She wishes every day that she hadn't though. Its not easy being a mommy and in the military. Military always comes first. You have to have a very strong support system and not everyone has that, so no judgment on my behalf. Although I think women who get pregnant overseas should know better lol... wouldn't want to have to explain that to anyone. I also but just as much blame on men though. 

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry but I see these women every day at work. Both ends of the spectrum from getting pregnant to get out of deployments and work to accidentally pregnacies. So I'll amend, from my experience women who get pregnant on purpose to get out of deployments are cowards.

Quoting taeray:

I suppose this could be true but only someone who knows the whole story could really make such a comment.  But to make such a broad spectrum judgement of just "military women" in general also feels like a great insult.

Quoting RMB2011:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)