Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

TLC=Green-Eyed Monster VENT

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 17 Replies

I’m wondering if I’m in the majority on this? Before I knew that I wanted kids, I used to be addicted to the TLC shows, like “A Baby Story”. It was such fairy tale like that I would get sucked in and spend so much time watching and enjoying it. I believed everyone had those experiences...The feel good aspect of the show was addictive.Enter pregnancy. And new mommyhood.

I despised this show with such a vengance for several reasons.I also get jealous of other women's pregnancies, you know, the women who did it the "right" way.During pregnancy I had been so tainted on the effortlessness pregnancies that I couldn’t relate. I didn’t have the fairy tale and I was outraged. Why weren’t there women like me on the show? Talking about the worry and fear. I didn’t think about the nursery like these other moms. I didn’t shop like these other moms. The moms and dads and babies had all this support. And togetherness. And wealth! Bringing home their baby to beautiful nurseries, homes and welcoming arms. Where was the postpartum talk? Empty waiting rooms? How you wished that more people would come to visit?

I'm married but I am unsupported because i'm with a black man. NO-ONE or my family helped me and I was always alone.It was like torture watching these parents take their babies home and had tons of suppport and family waited to help out with anything. It's not like I didn't have family. It's just that everyone was so racist and angry about it except my sisters.We're in Atlanta.Not even a phone call. Everyone was so excited for my cousin, and she had a huge baby shower and got everything she needed, but a couple years later when I got pregnant , no one even seemed to care, I had to throw my own damn baby shower, and even then I hardly got anything, so I had to buy 95% of what I needed on my own. The other 5% was from hospital staff. It was a very depressing time . Yes, as you can tell, I needed some meds to let a show make me feel so down.I hope i'm not overreacting or sound overly spiteful.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Any insight?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unusualmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I dinno?  Its a tv show so we dont know how much is actually real.  I didnt have support.  I had little to no family.  Its all a fairy tale joke.  Oh - and what about the baby screaming non stop.  :~

JaronDMC
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I don't think your jelouse of the show. Your disappointed in your family. As you should be. We have lots of mixed families in my family and everyone is welcomed the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry. I think you guys are cute! But as far as the show, I had a c-section and totally thought they would show me the baby over the screen thing like they do on the show. So, I was waiting, and waiting, and I hear dh say, "He looks like he has curly hair", and they are all talking to him and stuff, and I WAS PISSED! I started screaming, "I want to see my baby!" If I hadn't watched that stupid show, I wouldn't have been such a freak about it. They brought him over to me once they had him all wrapped up and stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I had no one.  No family, no friends, no baby shower, no one to take pictures, no cutesie coming home outfits, no one to take the baby off my hands for even 5 minutes, no one to even put down as an emergency contact on rhe hospital forms. NO ONE.  Zero support.  Oh well, I survived and didn't think twice about it.  Jealousy isn't an emotion I even have.

AlliviasMommy
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

YES.I had the same resentment when I was pregnant with my twins from an interracial relationship.It prevented me from enjoying the pregnancy and the first 6 months after. I had a married cousin who was a few months ahead of me in her pregnancy and it was all buttons bows and baby book moments for her.She auditioned for Four Weddings too.I remember sitting at her over the top shower and wanting to cry. I never bought any maternity clothes and just wore too big stuff while she had the cute pretty dresses from my mil. It burned me and to this day I resent her life. I got married to their father when they were 2 .I never got a button bows and finger sandwich shower and my husband was not active in the pregnancy either...I always went to appointments alone and I had to have the nurse actually wake him for the birth, I labored alone for 18 hours while he was passed out in the chair :( 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Your family is toxic. You are better off without them.

Do not subject your kid to this kind of behavior. It is not ok nor fair to them.

As for baby shower and family gift.. They dont have to throw you anything.. They dont owe you anything.. It sucks and it hurts but then again they made their choice and you are better off without them.

You have a family (your DH and baby) to take care of and a family (DH & LO) who love you. If i were you i would have Cut off all my extended family. Those who do not respect my inmediate family dont get to have the priviledge to be in our life.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I had an easy pregnancy, labour besides the c/s and a huge awesome family.
I feel like you are jealous if the family :( I couldn't imagine having no family support. Every mommy needs breaks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I actually had great experiences and lots of support, but hugs. Sorry you didn't.
Now, dream pregnancy? Heck no. I was miserable.
britt6
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I had no one.  No family, no friends, no baby shower, no one to take pictures, no cutesie coming home outfits, no one to take the baby off my hands for even 5 minutes, no one to even put down as an emergency contact on rhe hospital forms. NO ONE.  Zero support.  Oh well, I survived and didn't think twice about it.  Jealousy isn't an emotion I even have.

Tell us more...

britt6
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM

OP~ I am sorry you did not get the support you needed during your pregnancy. Even though pregnancy doesn't equal "broken" it is a burden to your body (some more than others) and is really a time that baby and mommy could use some nurturing. It would have instilled some "safe" feelings in you as well as lessen your anxieties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)