Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MOMs With Winter Babies

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What are some things you did that you feel helped prevent them from getting sick? I have a newborn and am so afraid of her getting sick sick. I keep her covered while out in public and don't let strangers hold her she got minimal breast milk in hospital due to complications but she did get some. Also if I got my flu shot while pregnant doesn't that help her immune system?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
tastelikeyum
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I stayed home with my baby for the most part. We kept him warm when we did go out and I always kept extra blankets in the car. When we were in stores I had a blanket over the hood of the infant carrier so no germs from other people would get to him. I also breasted 99% of the time. He did have some formula if I was to sore to pump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM
My last was born in January 2010. She was born w/ an infection and stayed in NICU for 7 days. We were a lot more paranoid w/ her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

both of my kids were born in november right before thanksgiving. and I currently have a 10 week old. I don't do anything different or special. we don't do the flu shot. I still go out to the store and park and that. we happen to live somewhere that has very mild winters. so no bundling up extra or anything. I dunno. never really thought about it. just went about my normal business and just bring my babies w/ me. they have never gotten sick or anything.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM
My son has been sick all winter. But he wa a preemie and his immune system is compromised. I still don't shelter him I allow him to play and go out ( he's 14 months now but I've always been this way).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I keep my daughter home as much as possible. I breastfeed and she has got plenty of it the past 5 mos but i wont help her not catch the flu. I have a 4 yr old constantly coming home with sickness and it cant be prevented. Just a kid breathing on her or a teacher will get her sick. When she is sick especially running fever i keep the kids in seperate rooms. We have all thankfully had our flu shots so we are good and also good about keeping hands washed and changing our clothes when we come home. Handwashing alone will not prevent the flu so we are very causious

Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Yep. I have a two week old and being out and about has been great for me and him both.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

I went shopping the day after dd and I came home... I had no choice all the clothes I got at my baby shower didn't fit her so off to the mall we went so she wouldn't go naked.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

No on the flu shot and I didn't stay home with them after I had them. I'm the minority but I haven't ever let having a newborn slow me down.

MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I got lucky with dd. I could have literally skipped after having her but the nurses said I wasn't allowed to. I had her in 3 hours of signing in to the hospital. 3 pushes and I was holding her.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Yep. I have a two week old and being out and about has been great for me and him both.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

I went shopping the day after dd and I came home... I had no choice all the clothes I got at my baby shower didn't fit her so off to the mall we went so she wouldn't go naked.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

No on the flu shot and I didn't stay home with them after I had them. I'm the minority but I haven't ever let having a newborn slow me down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Nothing differently.  I've always made all family members wash their hands when they get home, and have never been big on taking newborns out while I'm feeling crappy still. If you freak out too much, you will stress yourself out, which will stress out baby, and that will compromise her immunity.

1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM
My twins were born in January. I didn't do anything differently than I did with my April baby.
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN