Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baptism class b/c the MIL says so.

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 55 Replies
This Sunday will not be fun. I had a crappy experience with religion when I was younger and it's something I'm slowly embracing again. SLOWLY. My future MIL and FIL want my son baptised but to do that, me and DF have to take classes. We're not getting baptised, why the classes? Anyway, of course, DF agrees even though he's not exactly the religious type. And whenever I mention I'd like my son to decide if he wants to be baptised when he's able to understand what it means, everyone looks at me like I have a second and third head. I don't believe a loving God would damn an innocent baby to Hell just because he wasn't baptised.... Ah, just venting.
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM
5 moms liked this

then put your foot down. this should be an agreement between you and the father. no other opinions needed unless asked for. 

minnesotamommie
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Some denominations believe like you some believe like your inlaws that the baby won't be saved unless he is baptized. What kind of church is it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Put your foot down and tell mil to get bent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
molacio
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM
I've tried to put my foot down but DF is siding with his parents and siblings so we're definitely not a united front. They see that and play it to their advantage. I'm outnumbered here. ):
molacio
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Quoting minnesotamommie:

Some denominations believe like you some believe like your inlaws that the baby won't be saved unless he is baptized. What kind of church is it?

I'm not sure. I think Christian? My MIL says they give a certificate after being baptised and everything so whichever one does that.
brittany208
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

The classes are because if you are having a baby baptized, you are basically agreeing to what baptism IS to that religion. We took classes for my DS, but didn't have him baptized in church bc we didn't believe every detail of what they said. My DH baptized our son one night in the middle of the night on our living room floor.

brittany208
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM

do you believe it is WRONG or just not necessary? I believe in baptism for older children, but not babies, and I was fine with DS being baptized as a baby bc I figured it wouldnt hurt anything.

Quoting molacio:

I've tried to put my foot down but DF is siding with his parents and siblings so we're definitely not a united front. They see that and play it to their advantage. I'm outnumbered here. ):

knoxmomof2
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

In our church, our Pastor/ Sunday School Pastor will refuse to baptize if they do not feel the child understands the concept of salvation and the seriousness of the act of baptism. Our DD8.5 was baptized about a year ago. Our DS9.5 is not ready, he has not been baptized. We only do baby dedications before that, which is the parents vowing to teach and guide their children about a personal relationship with God. That's our church though....

You should not be doing anything you and DH don't want to do... this is YOUR CHILD. You need to be talking this over more with DH. Good luck!

EDIT: I just read the rest of the replies and your response about DH. If these classes/ this baptism are expecting you to stand up and make a vow/ pledge similar to what I described above from our church, you and DH should NOT be doing it if you are not 100% "about this". You will be making a vow to God, something He takes very seriously. Your in-laws will not be the ones held accountable (in God's eyes) for the vows you make up there, you and DH will. (I don't know your religious background, so I'm saying this assuming you have a belief in salvation and eternity and all that... if not, please disregard. I don't agree with "preaching" at people, just trying to warn you if you are interested in the seriousness of these things.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM
If you don't want it then why is it happening? Whose kid is it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Wait.. Why why on earth are u allowing this to happen.. Is YOUR kid.. Again YOUR kid not MIL NO FIL YOUR KID!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)