Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

catholics

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
What are Catholic services like? Also do they have Sunday style classes for the little ones or do they sit with you?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Bump
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM

The little ones almost always stay with. Very few Cathoic churhes have nurseries.

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM

to people who aren't catholic, it looks like we do a lot of "sit, stand, kneel, sit, kneel, stand"--I have that pointed out to me by non catholics often.  We open with song, have readings, hear a homily, have Communion, and close with song, to put it most simply. Most churches now do have a mass for children--meaning, before the readings, the children are invited to leave the regular congregation and attend classes geared towards their age group and they return after the homily.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Thank you for replying. We have been going to a Baptist church and they have classes for the kids but I wasn't sure if the Catholic church did the same thing. I am interested in attending but I am not sure how my six year old would handle it.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

The little ones almost always stay with. Very few Cathoic churhes have nurseries.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM

We don't have Sunday School, if my kids want to go to Sunday School, we go to Saturday evening mass at our Catholic Church and then Sunday morning services at the local Lutheran Church.  The two churches work closely together so many of the kids go to both.

brittany208
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM

this. I think IL's church does have something for kids during one service, but I think its for a small age range.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

to people who aren't catholic, it looks like we do a lot of "sit, stand, kneel, sit, kneel, stand"--I have that pointed out to me by non catholics often.  We open with song, have readings, hear a homily, have Communion, and close with song, to put it most simply. Most churches now do have a mass for children--meaning, before the readings, the children are invited to leave the regular congregation and attend classes geared towards their age group and they return after the homily.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
LOL that is exactly what I was gonna say "sit, stand, kneel, sit, kneel, stand".

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Kristen.Marie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Usually the little kids can leave the mass after the beginning, to go to a childrens "mass". There is catechism on Sunday mornings (like Sunday school) that kids can go to as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM

My husband (the Southern Baptist, which makes him ALMOST perfect j/k) refers to it as "jazzercise while being preached to". You stand up, you sit down, you kneel, then you stand up, then you sit down and etc. We stayed with our parents and our kids stay with us. It's about an hour long (like most services).

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM

one friend told me she felt like she could skip her morning workout.  It's the most common thing I always hear people say.  My dad's family grew up Lutheran and the first time we went to a wedding for his side of the family they all laughed because we entered the pew, went to kneel, and hit the floor....yeah, no kneelers. Ouch.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL that is exactly what I was gonna say "sit, stand, kneel, sit, kneel, stand".

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured