Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog owners ... has your dog ever had this?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 19 Replies
I took my German Shepherd to the vet today and she had a hematoba on her ear. It was a small one according to the vet so as a first option he did a drain on it with a needle. He felt he got it mostly drained, BUT, if it starts to fill again she'll need to have it surgically fixed ... to the tune of $500.00!!!! If left untreated, it can cause scarring of the ear which may make it prone to infections. Plus, she'll have to wear one of those ridiculous cones until her ear heals. Fingers crossed it worked, cause that's a lot of moolah!!! I don't want her to have a jacked up ear though ... she's too beautiful!! Would you spend that much money??? Also, I'm worried about infections as well, of course!
Edit ... we will get it done!!! Should have been more clear about that I think!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Hematomas are hard to get rid of. That price tag for surgery seems really high to me...

happymama2D
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Would you just let it be?

Quoting momtolittleg:

Hematomas are hard to get rid of. That price tag for surgery seems really high to me...

Sunshine201
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I have and would spend that much on my best friend...... he rocks! hope your feels better and there is no need for further treatment.

Momyplease
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I would call around clinics for the best price. but I would get it fixed if I have the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM

What are they?

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

If I had to, yes. I believe that when we get pets, we are accepting all responsibility for them. If they need medical treatment, then they need medical treatment, just like if anyone else in the family was sick. We would do without whatever we could and I'd work some extra shifts to get the money together.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Yes I would spend that much and have. I hope your puppy gets better!
Aeonix
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
He's never had a hematoma but IMO that's a rather excessive price. I'd call around and see if its in line with other vets.
happymama2D
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Thanks! Yeah, we will get it done .... but man ... I was surprised!!!

Quoting Sunshine201:

I have and would spend that much on my best friend...... he rocks! hope your feels better and there is no need for further treatment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM

The most expensive part of the surgery is the anesthesia.  I spent 10K on one of my dogs who needed new hips so 500. isn't much to me lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured