Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Show off your rings (and your story!) :)

An S/O of the recent engagement post, let's all share our rings and your engagement story :)

I actually didn't get this ring right away. The ring my DH proposed with belonged to my Nana. Unfortunately the ring is very very old and the stone was really loose. The jeweler said because the stone was hand cut the shape it was they couldn't reform the ring to make it tight fitting again, so they would have to put it in a new setting. I want to keep her ring the way it is, so it's safe in a jewelry box and we bought this as a set.

Anyway, our engagement was Feb 13 2011. We both had to work on V-day so we went out the night before to enjoy some time together. We went to see an early movie and then went to a Hibachi restaurant. Because it was later in the evening and a Sunday, the hibachi area of the restaurant was completely empty. Dinner was awesome, and then we had dessert come. Usually we never get dessert and I hadn't ordered it, so I was confused. There were two little cakes and a heart of whipped cream drawn around it. In the very center of the plate was my ring.

He asked, I said yes, and the rest is history :)

We planned our wedding for May 2012, but in June we had a fantastic miracle when, after 3 doctors said a second pregnancy would be impossible, I learned we were expecting our YDD. We were funding our own wedding and putting out 15k+ just 3 months after a baby was born seemed illogical. So we had a small $2000 wedding on July 30 2011, family and close friends only, and we put that money where it needed to go, into a house for our growing family. Life has been amazing since :)

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Replies (11-19):
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

Thank you! He told me I could keep it so I put it in my jewelry box and the fucker broke in and took it back, while I was at work.

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

I ended up not marrying this guy, but damn I was so in love with this ring. The guy however was a complete douche...

That is gorgeous!  Did u keep it?

Readyforbaby2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Pretty fucking much. He was a definite douchebagel...

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

Thank you! He told me I could keep it so I put it in my jewelry box and the fucker broke in and took it back, while I was at work.

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting Readyforbaby2:

I ended up not marrying this guy, but damn I was so in love with this ring. The guy however was a complete douche...

That is gorgeous!  Did u keep it?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aydensXmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

(hope that posted lol)

Anyway, we knew each other in high school, but I couldn't stand him. On Christmas Eve 2003, I went with my mom to a car lot to get me a car, but instead, we ended up buying a puppy from him and his mom. Flash forward to Christmas Eve 2008... I'm at Walmart with my mom, and while I'm looking at the $5 movie bin, I saw him and his dad on the other side on the bin. Funny thing was, I had been thinking about him all day, and I hadn't seen him in over 4 years. We started talking, and I hung out with the next day, and I kind of never left. 3 weeks later, he came home from AIT (he was in the Army), and as he was hugging me, he slipped his credit card to his mom. Later that night, he was down on one knee, and his mom had her video camera going. I was so shocked, and crying, but of course I said yes. We're going almost 4 years strong.

However, I'm allergic to white gold, so I ended up having to get a replacement ring.

teddysmama09
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I don't have a pic of my ring, but i do have a pretty good story.....

Attempt #1: while we were dating DH baught me an ipod. When I lost it I was devestated and I felt so horrible, so when I was going through some old purses and found it I thought my then boyfriend would be ecstatic. I was shocked when his reaction was "NOOOOOO, tell me you didn't find it! This SUCKS!" well, turns out he had planned the proposal around getting me a new video ipod to replace the lost one. he was going to give me a small box, which I would expect to be a ring box, but would instead be an ipod. then he would say, "press play". when i would press play it would be a video of him proposing....very sweet, but now that plan was shot...

Attempt #2: DH had been elated all week telling me he had the perfect proposal planned and it was coming soon. Well, one morning I went to his house and he was absolutely miseerable. I asked him why and he asked if i had seen the front page of the paper. He handed me the paper and there on the front was a huge picture of a hot air balloon plummeting to the ground bursting in flames. "Thats the balloon company i was going to use for the proposal."....so that was out....

The actual proposal: It was thanksgiving (in Canada- Oct 8, 2007) and DH had a rare day off. We decided to spend the day together and watch the movie I had been pressuring him to watch since we started dating: "Paint Your Wagon". He had put it off (for obviouse reasons!) but he said since he loved me so much he was ready to bite the bullet. He sat through all three hours, including the Clint Eastwood love song. Then when it was over he said "I have a confession, thats not my first time watching that. I've been watching it all week." I was shocked. Then he stood up and broke into song. He had rewritten one of the funniest songs from the movie. The lyrics were all about our courtship and how he we were going to be married. He ended the song and dance on one knee with the ring in his hand.

We were married 7 months later.

Exactly 2 years later, Oct 8,2009 I went into labour with our son.

eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE Charleston. I used to live there and also LOVE the rooftop bar. Such a romantic city!

Quoting momtolittleg:

Just got mine cleaned today!

we got engaged in Charleston, SC, at the rooftop bar (which was closed) of the fabulous Market Pavilion Hotel, on our 1 year dating anniversary. We got married exactly 1 year later. DH had taken me to a concert that night (not gonna say who) and we had also traveled to Savannah, GA earlier in our trip. Fun fact- our DD's first name is Savannah!

superwoman8977
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM

bad pic but you get the idea.  My husband picked out this ring for me in 2009.  We got married on Valentines day 2011.  

sweetz684
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Here's Mine. My dh actually proposed at senior prom when we were 17. Not with this ring tho It was a 1/4 ct. He got me a bigger one a few years later. Then when he wanted to start his business I gave it back to him to sell so he'd have cash. He now owns his own jewelry company and I designed this one that I wear now. :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM

We've been married three years now and I never thought when we first met that he'd be in my life for long, but I feel so damn lucky. I love this man with all my heart. He proposed to me a week after we met and a week after that we were hitched at a chapel in Reno, Nevada. Talk about a whirlwind romance. I never believed in love at first and now I do. My husband is my rock and I've never met a man so patient.

kdgord
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM

my engagement ring actually belonged to his maternal grandma. she gave it to his mom to give to him after she unknowingly threw it in the trash. when his mom showed her the ring and told her what had hhappened to it she pointed(she couldn't speak due to a stroke) to my hubby's picture and then to the ring.

my hubby and I were back in Michigan for his cousin's wedding when he proposed. it was sunset on the beach in grand haven on the 1 year anniversary of Sept 11th so the boats were all flying flags as part of a remembrance ceremony. it was wonderful! we were married about 3 1/2 months later, that was 10 years ago and we are still going strong
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)