Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone been on PA while they went back to school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Has anyone received TANF while they went back to school full time?

Yes, I am asking for myself. I am barely making ends meet because jobs are hard to come by in my town and I can't get anything above minimum wage with my high shool diploma. Yes, I would be ashamed to be on welfare and I know there are going to be people who bash me but I can't be concerned with you because I'm just trying to better myself and give my son a better life.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (161-169):
AprilDJC
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM
After I separated from my husband, and the kids and I moved to TX, I had to start over. I had no job, no college degree. I have managed to get a job, but its only 20-30 hours a week. That was all I could find. I have started back to college to be able to get a better job. My advice is apply for pell grant and subsidized student loans. You will not get TANF if you have pell grant and student loans, BUT you can still get food stamps. I get $450 a month for 4 people. And, since I enrolled in a community college for a 2 year degree program, I have quite a bit of money left from pell grant and student loan each semester after the cost of classes and books. It cost me about $1300 a semester to go full time (12 hurs), but my pell grantand student loan comes out to $4500 a semester, so im.able to take that leftover money and pay my rent 3 months at a time. My job and child support provide us with money for the utilities, gas for the car, car insurance, doctors appointments, etc. we dont get TANF though because of the school monies, but I think that it evens out in the end, if that makes sense. So make sure you apply for student aid, it will help you more than tanf by far.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting yummypeaches:

How is going to college self serving???? If I hadn't gone to college I'd still be on PA working a minimum wage job. I went to school so that I could give my child a better life. And I did/am. I got a 2 year degree and a certificate qualifying me to work as a paralegal. I make way more now than I did pre-college. And I don't need PA anymore. 2 years is really such a short time in the grand scheme of things (much shorter than struggling for years and years waiting for the "right" time) I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Why?  Are none of you women smart enough to make enough money without college?  Or smart enough to hold off on having kids you can't afford?  THAT's why you're self-serving.  It seems to be a common theme for you people to have your babies too young and then expect the taxpayers to support the lifestyle you want.  It's pathetic.  Take some responsibility for your lives and choices.

Well Jen, Sorry I came knockin on your door expecting you to pay for my "lavish" lifestyle. I have a great life and I don't regret having my child young or going to school. I think its pathetic that you feel the need to put others down when they have no effect on your daily life whatsoever. I pay taxes too and I am happy my taxes will go towards bettering some one's life. Its called being a compassionate human being. You don't get to decide who is "worthy" enough to go to college or receive PA. I am done discussing the matter with you though so feel free to have the last word. I took 4 years of speech and debate, and it is my experience that when you have to resort to name calling and personal attacks....you have run out of actual facts and intelligent input. Have a nice day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM

If she wasn't ready for college, she wasn't ready to be a mother.

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're supposed to better yourself after you've met your basic needs.  You should've thought about your son before you had him.

Some people arn't ready for college when they're young.There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself no matter what your age is! This will help her in the long run. Better to recieve aid in the short term than doing nothing and needing it forever. Her son is already here, why are you trying to make her feel bad about something she cannot change? Now, getting a degree is something she CAN change and I fully support anyone who wants to further their education :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM

PA is for crisis situations.  Going to college is not a crisis.

Also, PA is meant to be temporary.  2-4 years is not temporary.  (And, many states have lifetime limits on TANF.  For example, in my state, Ohio, you can only get it for 3 years.  Say you go to school for 3 years and use up your lifetime benefits.  Then when a real crisis strikes, you won't be able to get them.)

Do what most, at least responsible people do, and work while going to school.  That's your best option.

DieselsMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

You know what you can do....keep that minimum wage paying job, go back to school, and work your way through it...then you can get a better job, and not have to rely on welfare to support yourself and your kid/s

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

No, when I was in college I didn't have any kids.

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're supposed to better yourself after you've met your basic needs.  You should've thought about your son before you had him.

Some people arn't ready for college when they're young.There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself no matter what your age is! This will help her in the long run. Better to recieve aid in the short term than doing nothing and needing it forever. Her son is already here, why are you trying to make her feel bad about something she cannot change? Now, getting a degree is something she CAN change and I fully support anyone who wants to further their education :)

Not necessarily. I know plenty of people who went to college after having kids or even while having kids. Many people can be great parents and still not be ready for college. Not everyone likes or does well in school. So should only good students be allowed to be parents? I have friends who did terrible in high school, had kids, went back to college and got straight A's. Not everyone grows at the same pace and its not my place to judge when someone is ready to be a parent or go to college.

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

To me parenting is the toughest job you will ever have...  and if you aren't mature enough to deal with the responsiblitilies and stress of school... are you really ready for the responsibilities and stress of parenting?  kwim

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Not necessarily. I know plenty of people who went to college after having kids or even while having kids. Many people can be great parents and still not be ready for college. Not everyone likes or does well in school. So should only good students be allowed to be parents? I have friends who did terrible in high school, had kids, went back to college and got straight A's. Not everyone grows at the same pace and its not my place to judge when someone is ready to be a parent or go to college.

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I do. And I also know people who have had kids, tried to go back to college, and flunked out because they weren't mature enough to go to class and keep up with the homework. I just don't feel like its all one way or the other. Personally, I was a good high school student. I went through my "party" phase for a while but I still had good grades. I enrolled in my first semester of  college. I was doing ok but I don't think I was taking it as seriously as I should have been. About 2 months in I found out I was pregnant.  I completely changed my whole lifestyle. I stopped smoking, drinking, hanging out with my friends. I had my baby in the summer and went back to school in the fall when she was 2 months old. (I also was working part-time and had moved out of my parents house). My grades went from C's to A's because I knew that I had a limited amount of time that I could do my homework. I was way more focused. The challenges of parenthood are what taught me to be a good student. The stress of motherhood compared to college made it easier. But I have always been one to love school and learning. If my personality was different, I can see how it would have been harder. It was the best decision for me. Yes, we needed food stamps for a few years. Yes I was working, my bf was working, and we were living together on our own. I don't feel bad about it. Now I have a better job because of my degree and I don't need PA anymore. I can see both sides, and there are truths to each of them but only you know whats right for you and your family.

Quoting macbudsmom:

To me parenting is the toughest job you will ever have...  and if you aren't mature enough to deal with the responsiblitilies and stress of school... are you really ready for the responsibilities and stress of parenting?  kwim

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)