Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone been on PA while they went back to school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Has anyone received TANF while they went back to school full time?

Yes, I am asking for myself. I am barely making ends meet because jobs are hard to come by in my town and I can't get anything above minimum wage with my high shool diploma. Yes, I would be ashamed to be on welfare and I know there are going to be people who bash me but I can't be concerned with you because I'm just trying to better myself and give my son a better life.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
No.

I really really really wanted to go back to school right after my son was born but we couldn't afford it. I didn't feel it was right to receive assistance so i could go to school full time when i was perfectly capable of working two jobs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reality_check
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM
where i live in order to get cash assistance you HAVE to either find a job or go back to school. so yes, you should be able to. look into it. the whole point to getting this particular welfare is to gain financial stability and independence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Quoting spooky415:No.

I really really really wanted to go back to school right after my son was born but we couldn't afford it. I didn't feel it was right to receive assistance so i could go to school full time when i was perfectly capable of working two jobs.

I'm sorry you couldn't go back to school. You had to do what was best for your family.

Ultimately, I feel like even if I only go to a trade school for two years that will still put me in a better financial position than if I just keep working my minimum wage job for those two years.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Eventually, my husband and I were able to make enough money (especially him) so that we didn't need any assistance.

Now, about four years later, I'm in school full time, and can concentrate fully on it, without worrying about work and money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting spooky415:

No.

I'm sorry you couldn't go back to school. You had to do what was best for your family.

Ultimately, I feel like even if I only go to a trade school for two years that will still put me in abetted financial position than if I just keep working my minimum wage job for those two years.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
yes my family is doing that right now. dh is FT student PT employed. I am FT employed, STB PT student. we receive FS and med. its temporary and with our education we shouldnt ever need them again. thats the point. do what you gotta do. and good luck.
ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Don't be ashamed. At least you are doing something to better yourself. We all have to sacrifice to make our lives better in the long run. I use PA and I'm a student, so was my husband until recently. Think of PA as insurance, you pay into it with taxes, why not use it when you are bettering yourself? Plus your son will grow up better understanding that sometimes you have to do hard things to get where you want later.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

No I was fortunate enough to be able to get my degrees before having kids. I do know of two single moms who got  PA while going to college. One is now a labor and delivery nurse and the other just started law school. If you are using it to better yourself then so be it. i would rather see someone use it temporarily to get a degree than to rely on it the rest of their lives because they were never able to make a decent wage. 

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're supposed to better yourself after you've met your basic needs.  You should've thought about your son before you had him.

Some people arn't ready for college when they're young.There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself no matter what your age is! This will help her in the long run. Better to recieve aid in the short term than doing nothing and needing it forever. Her son is already here, why are you trying to make her feel bad about something she cannot change? Now, getting a degree is something she CAN change and I fully support anyone who wants to further their education :)

I agree...she should better herself.  After she is able to afford her basic needs.  Education is not necessary for survival, food is.  Once she can support herself and the people she's created, then she can "better herself."  As it is, the bar is pretty low.  It wouldn't take much to be better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Quoting spooky415:

Eventually, my husband and I were able to make enough money (especially him) so that we didn't need any assistance.

Now, about four years later, I'm in school full time, and can concentrate fully on it, without worrying about work and money.

I'm glad it worked out for you guys. :)
Ecoseem
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I know in my state you can't get SNAP while you're a student.  I'm currently a student who pays out of pocket and hoping I won't need assistance :-/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)