Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone been on PA while they went back to school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Has anyone received TANF while they went back to school full time?

Yes, I am asking for myself. I am barely making ends meet because jobs are hard to come by in my town and I can't get anything above minimum wage with my high shool diploma. Yes, I would be ashamed to be on welfare and I know there are going to be people who bash me but I can't be concerned with you because I'm just trying to better myself and give my son a better life.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I'm receiving foods stamps and I was eligible for cash but I have a job and don't think I need the cash
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's great that you're going back to school. I just wonder why we should pay you to do so.
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SommelierMom:

I think it's great that you're going back to school. I just wonder why we should pay you to do so.

She's gotta ride the gravy train to chase her dreams!  Cars are expensive, yo!

ilovemymonkeys4
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM

If you are getting financial aid- they will count that as income. And you may not qualify for TANF based on that.

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Should of, would of, could of.

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're supposed to better yourself after you've met your basic needs.  You should've thought about your son before you had him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Should of, would of, could of.

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're supposed to better yourself after you've met your basic needs.  You should've thought about your son before you had him.

.......didn't.

MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Go for it. There have  been studies that show that people who get assistance while they are in training will end up contributing significantly more to the tax base once they finish school than if they had just kept on with minimum wage jobs. Try to avoid the expensive trade schools and get a valid education with employment potential. What are you studying?

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Some people arn't ready for college when they're young.There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself no matter what your age is! This will help her in the long run. Better to recieve aid in the short term than doing nothing and needing it forever. Her son is already here, why are you trying to make her feel bad about something she cannot change? Now, getting a degree is something she CAN change and I fully support anyone who wants to further their education :)

I agree...she should better herself.  After she is able to afford her basic needs.  Education is not necessary for survival, food is.  Once she can support herself and the people she's created, then she can "better herself."  As it is, the bar is pretty low.  It wouldn't take much to be better.

Well a degree would enable her to afford her basic needs. If she can't get a better job with the education she has, how is she suposed to get ahead in life? So you think it would be better for her to struggle in a dead end low paying job for the next ten years? A few years on PA getting a degree isn't the end of the world.  Glad your "bar" is so high that you feel the need to look down on other people. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, mothers should be encouraging one another not insulting or belittling eachother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM

No, but my DH was on unemployment when I went back to school. The only thing that convinced me that it'd be okay is because his boss said they had to put SOMEONE on unemployment, so I figured it might as well be my DH so he could stay home and I could go to school. We knew it would be temporary and that it would improve our situation. I think there are a lot of worse decisions you could make.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)