Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone been on PA while they went back to school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Has anyone received TANF while they went back to school full time?

Yes, I am asking for myself. I am barely making ends meet because jobs are hard to come by in my town and I can't get anything above minimum wage with my high shool diploma. Yes, I would be ashamed to be on welfare and I know there are going to be people who bash me but I can't be concerned with you because I'm just trying to better myself and give my son a better life.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
And now she should do nothing to better herself and possibly use welfare until her child is an adult. That's the better option isn't.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Should of, would of, could of.

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're supposed to better yourself after you've met your basic needs.  You should've thought about your son before you had him.

.......didn't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2sqgl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with yummy.. My sister in law went on PA while she was in nursing school. We have talked about the fact that she knows she has paid more in taxes back since she has finished school and became an RN then she ever received on PA. You do what you need to do. Good Luck in school. 

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

You're supposed to better yourself after you've met your basic needs.  You should've thought about your son before you had him.

Some people arn't ready for college when they're young.There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself no matter what your age is! This will help her in the long run. Better to recieve aid in the short term than doing nothing and needing it forever. Her son is already here, why are you trying to make her feel bad about something she cannot change? Now, getting a degree is something she CAN change and I fully support anyone who wants to further their education :)

I agree...she should better herself.  After she is able to afford her basic needs.  Education is not necessary for survival, food is.  Once she can support herself and the people she's created, then she can "better herself."  As it is, the bar is pretty low.  It wouldn't take much to be better.

Well a degree would enable her to afford her basic needs. If she can't get a better job with the education she has, how is she suposed to get ahead in life? So you think it would be better for her to struggle in a dead end low paying job for the next ten years? A few years on PA getting a degree isn't the end of the world.  Glad your "bar" is so high that you feel the need to look down on other people. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, mothers should be encouraging one another not insulting or belittling eachother.

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't worry about what any bitch in here says. Get what you need, if you need it. That's what it's there for. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Quoting tossed:

Go for it. There have  been studies that show that people who get assistance while they are in training will end up contributing significantly more to the tax base once they finish school than if they had just kept on with minimum wage jobs. Try to avoid the expensive trade schools and get a valid education with employment potential. What are you studying?

I thought trade schools would be the cheaper option? Or am I getting what you're talking about confused with community college? It seems from the website that one of the stipulations in my state is that it only counts if you're going to a vocational school and for no more than 12 months. If that's the case then I know that the Paul Mitchell school in my town offers a 12 month program. So I might do that. I feel like anything at a community college would be at least two years but I need to look into it more.
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting yummypeaches:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Some people arn't ready for college when they're young.There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself no matter what your age is! This will help her in the long run. Better to recieve aid in the short term than doing nothing and needing it forever. Her son is already here, why are you trying to make her feel bad about something she cannot change? Now, getting a degree is something she CAN change and I fully support anyone who wants to further their education :)

I agree...she should better herself.  After she is able to afford her basic needs.  Education is not necessary for survival, food is.  Once she can support herself and the people she's created, then she can "better herself."  As it is, the bar is pretty low.  It wouldn't take much to be better.

Well a degree would enable her to afford her basic needs. If she can't get a better job with the education she has, how is she suposed to get ahead in life? So you think it would be better for her to struggle in a dead end low paying job for the next ten years? A few years on PA getting a degree isn't the end of the world.  Glad your "bar" is so high that you feel the need to look down on other people. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, mothers should be encouraging one another not insulting or belittling eachother.

Getting a degree will not necessarily enable her to afford anything.  And why is her degree anyone's responsibility but her own? 

I think it would be better for her to support herself and chase her dreams when she can afford to.  When she had a baby, she gave up the right to be self-serving.  She now owes her life to that child that she created.  Once he has his needs met, then she can move on to take care of herself. 

I am encouraging her....to support herself!

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

And now she should do nothing to better herself and possibly use welfare until her child is an adult. That's the better option isn't.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Should of, would of, could of.

Quoting ElitestJen:

.......didn't.

Why would she receive welfare for 18 years?  Is she that inept at meeting her basic needs?

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mama2sqgl:

I completely agree with yummy.. My sister in law went on PA while she was in nursing school. We have talked about the fact that she knows she has paid more in taxes back since she has finished school and became an RN then she ever received on PA. You do what you need to do. Good Luck in school.

So?  Millions of people pay taxes every year and have never received public assistance.  Taxes pay for more than just public assistance....and I'm sure she benefits from them still.  The difference is....she's double dipped.  Public assistance AND schools AND roads AND federal student aid AND.......

I'm sure she hasn't given more than she's received.  The public assistance made her cost to society higher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting ElitestJen:

She's gotta ride the gravy train to chase her dreams! Cars are expensive, yo!

I would honestly be happy just to be able to put some money away in a savings account for my son every month so HE can go to college one day and not have to struggle like I do.

I may not drive a fancy car like you, but it gets me to and from work and hopefully one day it will get me to and from school.
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

She's gotta ride the gravy train to chase her dreams! Cars are expensive, yo!

I would honestly be happy just to be able to put some money away in a savings account for my son every month so HE can go to college one day and not have to struggle like I do.

I may not drive a fancy car like you, but it gets me to and from work and hopefully one day it will get me to and from school.

You chose to struggle.  You didn't *have* to struggle.  You made a series of decisions that led to your struggle. Own it.  Take responsibility.

I don't drive a fancy car.  I also don't expect others to support me because I was too selfish to support myself.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Are you going for hair dressing? The problem with trade schools (ATI, ITT, etc) is that they are EXTREMELY expensive and a person has to take out huge loans in addition to their PELL grants just to pay the tuition/fees. Frequently, the people who graduate don't end up with decent paying jobs and have huge loans to repay. My son is going through a community college for a degree in respiratory therapy. He will graduate this summer (right after his 20th birthday) and will be able to start at about $25 an hour. If I had more money, he would not have needed to take out loans because the PELL would pay for tuition and fees, but he took out loans to help with living expenses. With his expected salary, he will be able to repay the loans.

I used to coordinate a training and employment program that covered people from at risk high school students, to welfare moms, to white collar workers. The people I had who were interested in trade schools thought it was great that they would get out in a year, but NEVER got good paying jobs. Sorry, just the way it goes. There may be rare exceptions, but I had to monitor all of the schools in the Dallas area and saw it all of the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tossed:

Go for it. There have  been studies that show that people who get assistance while they are in training will end up contributing significantly more to the tax base once they finish school than if they had just kept on with minimum wage jobs. Try to avoid the expensive trade schools and get a valid education with employment potential. What are you studying?

I thought trade schools would be the cheaper option? Or am I getting what you're talking about confused with community college? It seems from the website that one of the stipulations in my state is that it only counts if you're going to a vocational school and for no more than 12 months. If that's the case then I know that the Paul Mitchell school in my town offers a 12 month program. So I might do that. I feel like anything at a community college would be at least two years but I need to look into it more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN