Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Give antibiotics without a prescription?

I have an ear infection but its chronic so I hate going to the dr every time I get one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I don't know why you all up in her ass over this. Plenty people do this. That's how I have extra pain meds. Doc will give me a week's worth, with instructions to take as needed. I just don't need as much as she thought. Same with antibiotics. If you are feeling better, let your natural immunes finish the job. I swear people think one should be medicated to the gills.

Quoting CamMa:

You posted your stupidity in a PUBLIC forum and you expected people to agree with you? Or did you expect us to just not say anything? Or did you just think we'd all say "wow, thats such a great idea!!!"? Common sense is free. Take some.
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Is it really any of your damn concern? No, It isn't so get a grip. Take a pill and focus on your own damn issues. 

Quoting CamMa:

Can you really be this idiotic with medicine? Doctors don't give you more antibiotics than you need. They give you exact dosages and tell you exactly how many days to take them. If you stop taking them just because you're feeling better, the shit is just gonna come back. Smh.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

My girlfriend was allergic and gave me a big bottle of Erythromycin she couldn't take them.  Hubby had a neck injury and for some reason they gave him 20 Amox. So that is a brand new bottle and Then when I would get Infection in my wisdoms they would give them to me. 

So that is how we get them. Plus unless you are getting like Z packs. They give you more then you need. 

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you get extra to keep on hand?

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I keep antibiotics on hand it all started with teeth.. Then that problem was taken care of and I had some on hand when I came down with Horrid Strep. I started them as soon as I knew the lump in my throat wasn't going away and it was getting worse as the day wore on. I was miserable that evening so I started to take the antibiotics for 7 days and it went away before it turned into full strep.. UGH! But I only keep like Amoxicillin and so forth.  I don't keep like Z packs or anything.

SlightlyPerfect
It is one of the highest forms of arrogance for people to assume they can bestow forgiveness on someone else for their own self-inflicted maiming.
Today at 2:59 PM
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Yes. Most Walgreens have the clinic. I don't know about Walmart. You can try a CVS, too. They have that clinic. Or are you by a Weis? They have a Minute Clinic.

slightlyperfect

brandyblx
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I don't know if they sell it anywhere around you but,it can also be bought online.It is a powerful,natural antibiotic.I have always used it because I was raised in Bolivia...there is not always enough money for medicine in 3rd world countries. It is called Propolis.Basically the wax that bees make to build their hives with.I swear by it,whenever one of the kids start getting sick a few drops of this will knock it right out. Here is a description.GL

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM

No. But if you have a regular family doctor, he may be willing to phone in a script if the chronic issue has been noted.  That is what we all do with are major sinus issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Some Walgreens have those take care clinics. They prescribe antibiotics if necessary
CamMa
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not the only one "all up in her ass". Pain meds and antibiotics are completely different. I cannot believe how stupid some of you are!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why you all up in her ass over this. Plenty people do this. That's how I have extra pain meds. Doc will give me a week's worth, with instructions to take as needed. I just don't need as much as she thought. Same with antibiotics. If you are feeling better, let your natural immunes finish the job. I swear people think one should be medicated to the gills.

Quoting CamMa:

You posted your stupidity in a PUBLIC forum and you expected people to agree with you? Or did you expect us to just not say anything? Or did you just think we'd all say "wow, thats such a great idea!!!"? Common sense is free. Take some.
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Is it really any of your damn concern? No, It isn't so get a grip. Take a pill and focus on your own damn issues. 

Quoting CamMa:

Can you really be this idiotic with medicine? Doctors don't give you more antibiotics than you need. They give you exact dosages and tell you exactly how many days to take them. If you stop taking them just because you're feeling better, the shit is just gonna come back. Smh.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

My girlfriend was allergic and gave me a big bottle of Erythromycin she couldn't take them.  Hubby had a neck injury and for some reason they gave him 20 Amox. So that is a brand new bottle and Then when I would get Infection in my wisdoms they would give them to me. 

So that is how we get them. Plus unless you are getting like Z packs. They give you more then you need. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I keep antibiotics on hand it all started with teeth.. Then that problem was taken care of and I had some on hand when I came down with Horrid Strep. I started them as soon as I knew the lump in my throat wasn't going away and it was getting worse as the day wore on. I was miserable that evening so I started to take the antibiotics for 7 days and it went away before it turned into full strep.. UGH! But I only keep like Amoxicillin and so forth.  I don't keep like Z packs or anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ausomezombie2.0
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Antibiotics should be taken for the full course of the prescription. Please learn the difference between treating a bacterial infection and treating pain as needed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CamMa:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting CamMa:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
You're wrong. Pain medication is often prescribed as needed, and yes, many people have "left over." Not a big deal.

Antibiotics are NOT the same as pain meds and are prescribed completely differently. You need to finish the course of therapy. Yes, even if you feel better. You are NEVER prescribed more than you need (most abx treatment is only 5 or 10 days) and your "natural immunities" aren't going to do anything against the now resistant strain of bacteria that you are now breeding.

You obviously have no idea about how antibiotics work and why they are prescribed the way that they are.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CamMa:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting CamMa:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

TarantulaTress
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Google at home remedies for ear infections.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)