Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Something smells fishy with my w-2, and it's not a yeast infection.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I got my w-2 today. Yes, late.
Anyway, my boss put in that I only paid $80 into federal tax w/h on my w-2. Now I know this is waaaaaay off. I have (SOME) of my paystubs from between the months of August and December, and between those few months, I only have nine of the paystubs. When I added up the fed. tax deduction on on the paystubs...NINE of 26 paystubs from last year...I paid $72 dollars.

So how could it be that for the other SEVENTEEN paychecks throughout the year, I only paid eight dollars?

My boss' business has slowed down a lot. They get nervous whenever I ask anything about my checks.

Would they benefit if they lied about this on my W-2? Not only was my fed tax w/h lower, but so was everything else. I claim zero on my w-4.

Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Bump
What deductions do you have
What percent are you claiming
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
No clue. But PS, you didn't get your w2 late.
wodntulk2kno1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I don't have any idea. Call the IRS and find out. They should know and can also request your info from the employer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I claimed zero on everything. I guess the problem is that the amounts deducted from my paystubs are way off from what it says on my w-2

Quoting Anonymous:

Bump

What deductions do you have

What percent are you claiming
crazymom21
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Yikes no clue. Calling the IRS is going to be your best bet on this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Call the IRS and your local labor board.

Mychele
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Yikes. I would think they have to have a record of everything. If you believe it's off you can ask your employer about it and if they aren't giving answers, contact the IRS. That will get them talking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Char-Bear
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Employers are required to send your W-2 by Jan 31 so if it was postmarked before today it isn't late. Do you work the same amount of hours each week? If your hours fluctuate it is very possible to have some paychecks without any withholding. You should be keeping all of your paystubs throughout the year so you can verify that your W-2 matches. I don't see where they would benefit saying your withholding was less unless they actually took it out of your check and kept it instead of paying their payroll taxes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM
They didn't send it to me in the mail. They physically handed it to me today. They have an accountant do it and they picked it up from the office today.

Yes, I work the same amount of hours every week, save maybe one or two hours.

It was dumb of me to misplace most of the stubs, but I do have a paper that they physically had to write eerytjing I made, check-by-check, and had deducted from my checks (FICA, Medicare, state, and fed), from between 10/2011 through 7/2012. I've got it in a folder somewhere, and I'll did it out tomorrow.

It sounds possible that they could have kept that extra money from federal. They also never deduct the correct percentage from my checks for FICA. I'm assuming because employers have to match to FICA what the employee pays into FICA. They usually leave it about $10 short from what it should be.

Quoting Char-Bear:

Employers are required to send your W-2 by Jan 31 so if it was postmarked before today it isn't late. Do you work the same amount of hours each week? If your hours fluctuate it is very possible to have some paychecks without any withholding. You should be keeping all of your paystubs throughout the year so you can verify that your W-2 matches. I don't see where they would benefit saying your withholding was less unless they actually took it out of your check and kept it instead of paying their payroll taxes. 

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I would call the IRS and discuss this with them. Only because it seems very off that you only paid $80 in federal taxes for the whole year. I paid more than that for 6 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)