Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

frustrated with dh.. education wise

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
My daughter goes to school by my mother's house. Long story short, there were a lot of factors that decided it was better for her to go to school there rather than here. It is Kindergarten.

Thanks to things being more "normal" now, DD will be able to go to school by us. We don't live in the greatest school district, but there are some amazing schools that she would have to get selected from a lottery to get into.

I sat DH down today and told him that just in case DD does not get into one of the "select schools", I was researching Catholic schools. Before I even finished that sentence, he started laughing, but tried to hide it!

We are not Catholic, but a lot of the Catholic schools in the area are way better than our public schools. We can not move out of our school district since DH works for city government.

I just dont get what is so funny about caring about my daughter's education! I know my daughter will have to participate in theology and religious practices in the school, but as long as she knows this is not what we believe, and that she has to keep her views to herself, I don't see what the issue is.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Um lots of issues they will want her to have a first communion. My friend is a catholic school principal

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM
There are plenty of non-catholics that go to catholic school.

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Um lots of issues they will want her to have a first communion. My friend is a catholic school principal

kblossom20
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM

You should let her form her own opinion on religion instead of telling her to "keep in mind that's not what you believe" 

I agree that a private school education would be her best option as opposed to public school. Don't see why dh felt the need to laugh about it, that's rather immature. Do what you know is best for her.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

nathansmommy331
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:39 AM
The non Catholics are usually troubled kids who were kicked out. You should really research more as to what would be expected of her going there. Maybe your dh had remembered a funny nun joke or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:52 AM
My grandfather is Jewish, but where he grew up, if you wanted a good education you went to the Catholic school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AA2.0
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:58 AM
I know a girl who went to catholic school, but was not catholic. She told me that they could not force her to complete the sacraments. I'm not sure how true that is, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RoseBlossom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:00 AM

i see where your husband is coming from, however if the catholic schools are the best education then i would do it if i could. although it would prolly be hard for even me to put my kids in a catholic school even though i am christian, because i dont believe in their worship of saints and all the rituals they do. 

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:01 AM
I'd giggle a bit too. Catholic school for a non-Catholic seems silly to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Before deciding, I would go talk to the administration at that specific school. Since they are a private school, they can make your kid follow all their rules and punish accordingly if she doesn't comply. Some schools aren't like what you see on TV where they are super strict, and some are worse than what you see portrayed. I would make sure that specific school is a good fit for you and your child before even considering it as an option. Comfort is just as important as academics because a child cannot learn if the enviroment feels hostile or stifling to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)