Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When someone does this online, do you think it is probable that they are mentally ill?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

I am sure that there are people that make up stuff online, harmless stuff, for the fun of it. Not a big deal, but when someone makes up tragic things for attention, do you think they are probably just sick? For example, going onto a pregnancy board and talking about struggling to conceive, talking about all the heartache she and DH are going through, making up stories about miscarriages, when you know for a fact that she doesn't even have a boyfriend, never mind married. 

I just figure that you have to be mentally ill, not just an ass, to play on the sympathies of women that are actually going through it. 

There have been stories about people going online and saying they have cancer, or their kids do, only to find out later that they don't. Actually, I know someone IRL that lied about having cancer.....just f'd up. 

Do you know anyone online or IRL that does that crap?  If you know them from CM, please don't say names. I am talking in general, from anywhere.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:33 AM
I wouldn't go as far as "probably", but maybe slightly more likely than the run of the mill jackasses.
RLT2
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

No, but I assume they are mentally ill. Either in an "attention needing" sort of way, or a "sociopathic" wanting to make people look stupid or troll for victims way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't go as far as "probably", but maybe slightly more likely than the run of the mill jackasses.

Yeah, unfortunately, there are people that are JUST jackasses that might do it and are aware of how wrong it is.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM
I think it is all just for attention. Not necessarily that the person is sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM
My crazy ass neighbor claimed that she had stage 2 breast cancer and that her baby had a brain tumor. Then about 2 weeks later, "Halleluyah" she and her daughter were healed. Landlord ended up kicking her out when she set a fire in the apartment and tried to blame the maintainence lady.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DKk0531
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM
I *used* to have a friend that would make up stuff all the time...from rapes to miscarriages. One time when we were like 12 she made up this thing that her dad tied her to a bumper, poured battery acid all over her and drug her down I-5 in LA. Um....ya....
Then my MIL makes stuff up alot about being robbed or her tires being slashed.
Oh and the worst one...my neighbor. Shes said that my dh has got her preg, she has stabbed herself and came over to my dh saying some guy tryed to kill her in the park (even the cops and emt didnt believe her) .
Thats all i can remember right now lol. Theres some crazy little nuts in this world
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I have a mental illness and would never do that kind of thing.  I think they are just attention seeking assholes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I just thought I was miscarrying once and nearly had a nervous breakdown. I would have been devastated if I had one. For someone that has, I can't imagine how they would feel to find out that someone was lying about having one for attention.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

watch the catfish show..............

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Yes and they need to be tied up and beaten.  My daughter has cancer and I have had a few people sort of question me, not in a mean way, but you can tell that they think I am lying about it and it pisses me off but I understand why. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN