Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Now that I have kids I look back and ....

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM
  • 106 Replies

Shake my head at my mom.  I'm having baby number 6 here in two months.  My oldest is 8, almost 9.  He told me the other day that he will help change the baby's diapers when she gets here.  I told him that was sweet and that if he really wanted to I would help him learn, but that changing a baby's diaper can be hard.  Then I stopped and realized... I was in kindergarten when I started changing my brothers diapers.. and we used the cloth diapers with pins (and yes, i remember jabbing him with pins on accident).  I remember my sister, who was only two years older then me feeding him his baby food.  I remember preparing bottles. 

I do know my mom worked at the time, graveyards at a nursing home, but still.  I have worked out of the home, graveyards even, and never have I even considered having my older children take on that responsiblility.  

I remember at one point as a teen we got into a fight and I basically told her she was a crappy mom, and she told me "well when you have 5 kids you will see its not that easy and that i did the best i could."  Well, I have five, I'm having one more, and yes it can be hard.. hell, having one can be hard, but the older I get, the more I look back and realize.. I was right.. she was a very crappy mom.  I'm not perfect by any means.  And just being better then her will never be enough in my mind.  There will always be room for improvement.  I just hope I remember that as I get older.  

How about you, do you ever look back and think "wtf was my mom thinking?"

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tricia1332
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM
No
AM-BRAT
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I think everyone handles what they can.

Unless you have other issues with her understand that not everyone is you.

That's what a lot of people did then. Promoted independence early on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrene88
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this
No. I had a wonderful mom. Still do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM
My mom (and def dhs mom ) could have taught us how to do more things to help out. Dhs mom did EVERYTHING for him and his brother. And they're both lazier than sh*T.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM

All I remb. is my mom bitching at me when I skipped school. Her exact word "You know what? Just wait till you have kids. They are going to be ten times worse." SO TRUE. Karma=Bitch ;(

kayla4507
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Every day I look at my child.

How could a mother want to spend all their time drunk and then continue to drink after they get taken by state? 

mrene88
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM
So sad. ;( I'll never understand woman/men like that.

Quoting kayla4507:

Every day I look at my child.

How could a mother want to spend all their time drunk and then continue to drink after they get taken by state? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I think everyone handles what they can.

Unless you have other issues with her understand that not everyone is you.

That's what a lot of people did then. Promoted independence early on.

This is just one of many things.  We grew up in a filthy home.  She worked for a little while, then was a SAHM.  Our house was always filthy.  She would make us do most of the house work, and would hit us when it would get too bad.  She once hit me over the head with a cookie sheet when I was probably in 2nd grade because i didn't scrub the dishes right.  She would beat us with her fists.  I remember me and my sister would fight over who was holding our littlest brother when my mom would get in a foul mood, whoever had him wasn't going to get hit.  She stood by while our "dad" would beat us with belts (not on the butt).  He would degrade us, call us names, throw things at us, throw things around the house.  She was a crappy mom.  But still i think of my 5 yr old dd trying to change a diaper... no, not happening.  hell, I wouldn't even let her play with diaper pins let alone let her anywhere near a baby with them.  Expecting a 5 and a 7 yr old to feed and change a baby?  I am all for independence, but at that age, that is beyond independence.  

anotherandree
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM

My mother worked us like slaves.  She always said, "That's why I had kids."  She had us mowing the lawn at 6 and doing real household chores like vaccuuming and doing dishes at 5.  She was a SAHM, mind you.  She was a NAZI and I still resent her for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:22 AM
You learned from your mom whether its what you want to do Or not to do as a mother yourself. At least she was working. Don't be so high and mighty... Try being humble.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)