Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you spoken to your child about race?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 331 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you talked to your kid(s) about race?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 380

View Results

I was watching a CNN special that Anderson Cooper did on how kids view other kids. Almost every child (white and black) said that the white child was the smartest/good-looking, the black child was the dumbest/ugly. I'm a black woman, btw. The study wasn't the best, and only target black and white families. 

Growing up, my parents told me about the stereotypes and stigmas of each race/ethnicity. They taught me that even though someone has a different skin color than you doesn't mean that they are any better than you are. They also taught me that some people may not like me because of my skin color. (I've actually been told by a classmate at 15 that his parents taught him to not become friends with blacks or Hispanics; however, he still did)

If you're interested, here's the links:

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Parent reaction to child's answer)

http://youtu.be/EQACkg5i4AY (Children picking which child is smarter, dumber, etc.)

http://youtu.be/nFbvBJULVnc (Older kids view)

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Home influence on kids)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:05 AM
8 moms liked this

My kids were raised in a manner that they see all people that are different than they are as being equally special and valued.

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM
DD is 5. She knows that some people look different than others, but we haven't really talked about differences other than occasionally seeing a special needs person while out and about. She views everyone as being the same, just different colors. When she gets older, we'll probably talk more about stereotypes and such.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armywifey26
by Krissy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course. Since our family is made up of many different races it was a must. They want to know why Uncle Eric was darker than mommy 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:12 AM
3 moms liked this
I've explained to my children that no matter the race, skin color, accent or any other reason should anyone be treated differently.
They're mixed race & I explain quiet often why it is so important to never judge someone by appearance. I've told them about the stereotypes & why it is complete Bs.
They've come to me on more than a few occasions asking questions because someone at school world make racial remarks toward them.
LilyPondOasis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell my son that no race is any better than the other. We all bleed red. We all mourn the loss of a loved one the same. What matters is not what some one looks like on the outside but what is inside one's heart does.

Everyone deserves respect as well. Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you. I believe in karma. 

RoseBlossom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:16 AM
3 moms liked this

i think ive said something maybe once or twice that everyone is a different color and there really is no such thing as race. we are all one species with different colored skin, hair, etc..its like saying a darker colored blue jay is a different race than a lighter colored blue jay lol. unfortunatley not every one sees it like that. but since we are christian, i tell them that God loves all of us and He made us all because we are all special in our own ways. plus my oldest is in kindy and he just learned about different colored ppl when his class was learning about mlk day.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:18 AM
It honestly doesn't cross my mind.
RandiBear
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:21 AM
16 moms liked this

A neighbor of mine has a friend who is black who visits pretty regularly and a few weeks ago when we were all outside talking, my DS looks up at her and says "You got dirt." She thought he meant she had dirt on her clothes so she's looking around and he starts rubbing on her arm. I about choked. We live in a primarily white town and she is really the only black person he has met. She looked at me, waiting for me to respond and I said "No, baby, that's what color her skin is. See, you have white skin, and she has brown skin...it's not dirty" He looked at me like I was crazy then smiled at her and said "I like brown" She started laughing and said "I do too" He ran off to play then came back and climbed up in her lap and just kept touching her arms and smiling then kissed both her hands. Now when she comes by she calls him "Dirt" lol

I don't think we have to teach kids to love people who are different, I think we just have to stop teaching them to hate people who are.

JacksonGirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My family has too many races for that to even be an issue so I never actually had a talk about race.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:24 AM
3 moms liked this

My children could care less. Except my youngest likes bald people. "Bobble-heads". I can't figure out how to approach that.!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)