Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you spoken to your child about race?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Have you talked to your kid(s) about race?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 380

View Results

I was watching a CNN special that Anderson Cooper did on how kids view other kids. Almost every child (white and black) said that the white child was the smartest/good-looking, the black child was the dumbest/ugly. I'm a black woman, btw. The study wasn't the best, and only target black and white families. 

Growing up, my parents told me about the stereotypes and stigmas of each race/ethnicity. They taught me that even though someone has a different skin color than you doesn't mean that they are any better than you are. They also taught me that some people may not like me because of my skin color. (I've actually been told by a classmate at 15 that his parents taught him to not become friends with blacks or Hispanics; however, he still did)

If you're interested, here's the links:

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Parent reaction to child's answer)

http://youtu.be/EQACkg5i4AY (Children picking which child is smarter, dumber, etc.)

http://youtu.be/nFbvBJULVnc (Older kids view)

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Home influence on kids)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy41ce
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:24 AM
My kids know that people are made of different colors.
My oldest is in kindergarten and a girl she calls we best friend is African American. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mashnut3161
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:26 AM

yes, I tell them all races are equal and if they ever disagree , their mixed cousin( a person I have raised as my son/their brother) I will have him beat their ass into reality.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:28 AM

It's always been a non-issue in our family. I hate racist jokes and the kids know it.

Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:32 AM
Ended up trying to explain it to my at the time 2.5yr old because we were at a restaurant and when a lady at the next table started nursing her baby, my daughter loudly proclaimed that she wanted her milkies, because she loves chocolate milkies *facepalm* i tried explaining that some people have dark skin, and some people have light skin, just like people have different hair and eye color, but we are all the sane on the inside. But being 2, i don't think she really understood it. Luckily the woman understood she didn't mean anything bad and just laughed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sktrowb
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:35 AM
My kids are 1 and 3... We live in a small town so we don't get much variety on race so it has never really come up... I was raised that different races are not something to be different about everyone is made different in a special way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:42 AM

My kids are 3, 2, and 9 months. Too young to talk to them. Are we supposed to talk to them? We're white and I didn't think that I needed to say anything but I will answer questions when they have them. I thought that if I brought it up that it would possibly make them see different races in a different way. I was just planning on trying to not let them see any different action on my part towards any different race. (and by try to not let them see it I mean not do it. My mom is racist though and I worry that I might be a little because of all of her negativity that I grew up with.)

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM

He was confused, so I had to talk to him. He'd seen pictures/videos of starving African children and thought their skin was dark because they were starving. I'm not sure how he came up with that conclusion since he's got dark-skinned friends that are clearly not starving. I had to explain to him that skin is just like hair and eyes, there are all sorts of different colors.

Neuro
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I wish I could sit here and say that my parents gave me some inspiring speech and wisdom about equality and shit, but all they told me was "Don't be an asshole, if you're an asshole to people, you won't make any friends, no one will like you and no one will want to be around you" and "You pick on someone and you could be picking on the surgeon who will save your life in the future". That's pretty much all I needed to hear. Don't be an asshole, or no one will like you.

That did the trick for me, I could never understand why skin color is such a big issue with other people. It's just a color, really.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Right now my kids are still to young to understand.  But when they do get older we will teach them that everyone is equal no matter what their race is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN