Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you spoken to your child about race?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Have you talked to your kid(s) about race?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 380

View Results

I was watching a CNN special that Anderson Cooper did on how kids view other kids. Almost every child (white and black) said that the white child was the smartest/good-looking, the black child was the dumbest/ugly. I'm a black woman, btw. The study wasn't the best, and only target black and white families. 

Growing up, my parents told me about the stereotypes and stigmas of each race/ethnicity. They taught me that even though someone has a different skin color than you doesn't mean that they are any better than you are. They also taught me that some people may not like me because of my skin color. (I've actually been told by a classmate at 15 that his parents taught him to not become friends with blacks or Hispanics; however, he still did)

If you're interested, here's the links:

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Parent reaction to child's answer)

http://youtu.be/EQACkg5i4AY (Children picking which child is smarter, dumber, etc.)

http://youtu.be/nFbvBJULVnc (Older kids view)

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Home influence on kids)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:26 AM

no and when growing up i was as you could call color blind , my brothers are mixed ones half black rue and the other is half puerto rican ry . I honestly did not understand what the big deal was we were people when we were with rue's dads family i would hear comments about how ugly i was that i was so pale that i must be sick , same with Ry dads side they they were at times speaking in a language i could not understand . after a while in school i would get brown paint and paint my arms and hands and even  face I wanted to just fit in i wanted to be like not be a Pinche Wedda <not sure how its spelled> even now i will deny my race  . So i want my kids to not see race but see the person

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM
I've talked to both my 9 and 5yr old dd's. We were at a watermark when dd1 was about 3.5 and she tried to play with a group of little white girls (we're white) who treated her like total crap. She was crushed. About 10 min later a little black girl came up and tried to play. By this time though she was still cowering by me and embarrassed. So she loudly says she doesn't want to play with the black girl. I almost died. I immediately asked her why and was racking my brain as to why she'd act that way. It ended up that it had nothing to do with the girl being black but that she was scared to try again. They ended up playing most of the day together. That was where our talks started though. My kids have been taught that everyone is equal and different. Just like her little sister has super pale skin whereas she is more bronze and olive like me. We're all people and we all have feelings. We should embrace differences not ignore them and not see anything wrong with them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Lol. I just love how people make themselves look like a bigoted fool. Studies and conversations like this is way above your maturity and intellectual level. So I have no idea why you even try. NO where in the OP or in This study does it say that white people are TEACHING their that black children are dumb and ugly. Children have a mind Of their own. And unless you educate them otherwise, they come up with their OWN conclusions. Te fact that some people didnt talk to their children about the EQUALITY of races. When some children were asked, they presumed that the darker skin color wasn't as smart or attractive. The parents didn't TEACH them that dumbass. But when children are not exposed or talked to about different races. They teach THEMSELVES and come to their OWN conclusions.

The PP wrote that before she spoke to her child about different races, she seen a black child and said "her skin isn't normal". Obviously the mother took that as a learning opportunity and corrected her, but the fact is that because she hadnt been talked to about race before. The CHILD concluded herself that something was wrong.

You want to sit here and go on a rant about black people feeling like a victim but the irony of it is that many white people like you are the reason. Black people can't move on from feeling like a victim, when every time they turn around people like YOU are pointing a bigoted finger in their faces and talking down to them like they are some sort of dog. What you just did is no better than a black person playing a victim but of course, in pretty sure you are too stupid to see that. YOU read this post as a black person attempting to blame
White people for a problem
In society, which is funny because NO one else did. So why do white people like you always make false
Accusations towards black people in attempts to degrade them?

If you are not educated or intelligent enought to comprehend a simple race post, then please stick to the more trashy topics in this group that suit you

Quoting momof2grls629:

Seriously? This argument again? I remember when I was in middle/highschool (12+ yrs ago) they were doing these studies and kids were supposedly saying that back then too. Biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Nobody (black or white) is teaching there kids black is stupid and ugly and white is smart and pretty. Come on! It's freaking 2013 for crying out loud. Can't you people come up with a new argument besides "whitey hates me and is trying to keep me down"? You all are your own worst enemy. You want someone to blame for the fact that you can't get jobs and be productive members if society, take a look in the fucking mirror and get the hell off my back and blaming me and all other white people for your own misfortunes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:34 AM

I am black and whenever I go out to a store at least a few small white children always smile and stare at me.If they are able to walk they have even ran up to me and hugged me.The parents get freaked and grab them without even saying a word to me.I think they are just curious about my race?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes we have my boys are adopted. My husband and I are white and they are biracial. They know that there are many different skin colors and that no one race is better than another. My oldest is 7 and he started noticing the differnce in skin color when he was three. He looked at my mom and said your skin is white and mine is brown. When he has asked questions about the differences in our skin colors we just tell Jim and his little brother that we would live them Jo matter what color than skin was even if it was red, yellow green or .polls doted we love them the same as we do now. We all bleed red.
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:49 AM
This is one reason it is important that ds is exposed to a diverse group of people. My cousin honestly believes all white people are rich. I have no idea where she gets that from. I pointed out poor white people and wealthy black people, but she has it stuck in her head that white=wealthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrspena
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. 9out of 10 grandkids in my family are mixed. Im white and dh is Mexican. SDs are Meximatalin. (1/2 Mexican, 1/2 Guatamalin). Dh has heard every ignorant name in the book. He tells ds they are just words. It you get mad you are giving the power to the word, not the person.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Really? You have NO idea where she could've got that from? Have you not turned on your tv lately?! Lol Cosby show sure isn't on anymore, neither is fresh prince of bel air! Where are the wealthy black families on tv for our youth to see?

Quoting JakesMom712:

This is one reason it is important that ds is exposed to a diverse group of people. My cousin honestly believes all white people are rich. I have no idea where she gets that from. I pointed out poor white people and wealthy black people, but she has it stuck in her head that white=wealthy.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Once, but race was just lumped in with other things too. DS is white, and his two best friends are black. He could care less about the colour of your skin. He is five and knows that we do our best to be nice to everyone regardless of skin colour, religion, sexual orientation, ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:18 AM
My daughter will play with anyone. I was shocked the one night though. We took her to my husbands mom house and she was putting a puzzle together. She then said she didn't want to finish the puzzle. Well my MIL asked her why and she said "well this one is black, I don't like the black girls". I do not raise my kids that way so I asked her who told her that and she said her grandfather and his "friends". Thankfully we were not around a black family at that time bc I would've felt horrible. My husband and I had a talk with her and then she started going through a list of all the kids at her school who "were a different color" but she still liked to play with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)