Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you spoken to your child about race?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Have you talked to your kid(s) about race?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 380

View Results

I was watching a CNN special that Anderson Cooper did on how kids view other kids. Almost every child (white and black) said that the white child was the smartest/good-looking, the black child was the dumbest/ugly. I'm a black woman, btw. The study wasn't the best, and only target black and white families. 

Growing up, my parents told me about the stereotypes and stigmas of each race/ethnicity. They taught me that even though someone has a different skin color than you doesn't mean that they are any better than you are. They also taught me that some people may not like me because of my skin color. (I've actually been told by a classmate at 15 that his parents taught him to not become friends with blacks or Hispanics; however, he still did)

If you're interested, here's the links:

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Parent reaction to child's answer)

http://youtu.be/EQACkg5i4AY (Children picking which child is smarter, dumber, etc.)

http://youtu.be/nFbvBJULVnc (Older kids view)

http://youtu.be/Sm_CfET1Ffg (Home influence on kids)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Replies (41-50):
imultracool
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
We haven't really talked about it. DD has black friends, asian friends, mixed friends, I don't think its every really been an issue. We've talked about ppl with disabilities, ppl who are gay, transgender ppl. I'm teaching my kids that just because someone is different doesn't mean they are bad or weird. Its important to me that my girls are nice to everyone and treat everyone with respect. We are white and my kids are 7 and 18 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrspena
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:28 AM
When ds was in 3rd grade a punk kid told him at school one day, "your brown, so that makes you a slave. Get on the ground so I can put my foot on your head." He tokd my oldest nephew who is mixed with black. He was 16 at the time. He tild ds to just ignore the kid that the boy was dumb, and he obviously needs to learn the map. Than ny nephewbtoldbme and I had to go to the school.
Im so glad he.went to my nephew because I would have seriously told him to puch the boy in the face. Its sad because if you think about it, the kid obviously hears that at home if he feels that way at that age.
imultracool
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Holy crap that is disgusting. What the hell are his parents teaching him??!!

Quoting mrspena:

When ds was in 3rd grade a punk kid told him at school one day, "your brown, so that makes you a slave. Get on the ground so I can put my foot on your head." He tokd my oldest nephew who is mixed with black. He was 16 at the time. He tild ds to just ignore the kid that the boy was dumb, and he obviously needs to learn the map. Than ny nephewbtoldbme and I had to go to the school.

Im so glad he.went to my nephew because I would have seriously told him to puch the boy in the face. Its sad because if you think about it, the kid obviously hears that at home if he feels that way at that age.
momma-flynn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM
My brother's kids are biracial, so we have talked about race from a very young age. My dd used to cry because she had white skin & wished she looked like her cousins. She doesn't know any different way of life than to love people regardless of skin color.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Our dd is adopted from China, so yes.. we speak about race. She knows that people may not like others due to the color of their skin. She doesn't care...she is friends with everyone. My youngest doesn't care either and she is about as white as you can be..<---those Irish genes of hers. LOL ....They show respect to everyone and they both have friends that are different races. My oldest's BFFs are white, but my youngest's BFF at school is black. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is white his best friend who we have custody of is black . My son wants to be black and didnt get why he couldn't . He swore if I stopped making him wear sunscreen he would Be black . So we've discussed why everyone is a dif color . He saids his best friend has nice skin .
He's 4
mrspena
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM
That was my thought. He had to learn that at home. 8/9 is way to young to from an opinion like that on their own. Thank God ds is brought up in a diverse family.
Lol my dad always tells him he needs to hook up with a Japanese girl or qn Ialian. BIL is black (as mentioned) and his mom makes good southern food, dh is Mexican so my MIL cooks for him when ever she visits. Lol I think he had all of us so we could branch out to other coultures just so he could get good food.

Quoting imultracool:

Quoting mrspena:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM

DD was five when she broke up with her "boyfriend because she heard my XH say "My daughter's dating a black boy" and laugh. Everything he did that she liked became annoying, because now she knew he was black.

I pent hours telling her that of course she could break up with her boyfriend, because I didn't want my kindergartener having a boyfriend, anyway. She just wasn't allowed to break up with him for being black. And she said that she just wanted a boyfriend who was white like her. That stopped me, because DD is Asian. She knows her family is Chinese. She knows we do Chinese New Years each year. But she thought she was white. So I told her that just like her boyfriend wasn't white, she wasn't white. She cried and screamed that her skin looked the same. It was very sad.

LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Kids dont see color, its learned behavior. I have not really discussed raced bc its a non-issue in this house and within my kids very diverse schools. The closest thing my oldest has ever even asked is why her hair isnt blond, to which I responded her genes makes her up and brown is the color hair that came out

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm black myself, and I do not think he learned that from home. Have you read the responses on this thread? This is EXACTLY what the OP is about.. TALKING to your children about different races. That kid didn't say he hated black kids. He pretended to treat him like a slave most likely because of what he is TAUGHT in school. That is the age where you start to lean about American history. The problem is that parents are leaving schools to teach ethical and moral values. Teachers do not teach our children that all races are the same and to love kne another. That isn't their job. They educate our youth on fundamentals of the world and history. That is a prime example as to WHY we need to talk to our children about race. No one talked to that kid about race, so all he knew was what he was taught in school about black people.. Which is our history.

Quoting mrspena:

That was my thought. He had to learn that at home. 8/9 is way to young to from an opinion like that on their own. Thank God ds is brought up in a diverse family.

Lol my dad always tells him he needs to hook up with a Japanese girl or qn Ialian. BIL is black (as mentioned) and his mom makes good southern food, dh is Mexican so my MIL cooks for him when ever she visits. Lol I think he had all of us so we could branch out to other coultures just so he could get good food.

Quoting imultracool:

Quoting mrspena:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN