Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moving internationally...

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  • 9 Replies
If you could move to any country in the world, where would you go? Why?

Do you have any real plans to do it? Long term? Short term?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PhoenixMomof3
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I have a serious love affair with Ireland, Peru and Brazil... as well as Greece. All of them are interesting for historical reasons, culture and food for starters. But each of them offers exceptional beauty and I think the environments alone would be amazing.

Other wise, I have to get to work... I just wanted to throw this out there quick and see what people thought.

Oh, also, I would not even want to visit if I couldn't commit a few months to a few years. I would hate to be rushed in my exploration! There fore, I will probably wait, especially for the more distant ones, until my kids are out of the house and on their own.
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I would love to go to Ireland England or Germany. My husband works for a German company with offices all over the world so it's possible. I ask him pretty much ever day if we can move.
mrspena
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Dh and I talked about moving down to Mexico before. But thats only because he has family there. If we ever did we would wait until ds is out of school since he doesnt speak spanish, so it would be hard for him. If we ever did I would like to live in Alcapulco or Tepozlan. So beutiful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:51 AM
My friends lived in Germany for a little over a year (he was stationed there) and they said all the locals were super friendly..

Quoting KelliansMom:

I would love to go to Ireland England or Germany. My husband works for a German company with offices all over the world so it's possible. I ask him pretty much ever day if we can move.

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I would love to move back to Germany. I've spent a total of 4 years living there already, and I miss it terribly. But, the two times I've lived there was compliments of the military. Seeing that I'm no longer associated with them, I won't be moving there again. :-(
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM

my husband has been a few times when he was a kid. his grandmother's family all still live there. The pictures and stories are amazing

Quoting Anonymous:

My friends lived in Germany for a little over a year (he was stationed there) and they said all the locals were super friendly..

Quoting KelliansMom:

PhoenixMomof3
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Bump.
SlightlyPerfect
by Babushka Blockparty on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM

If America continues down this path, after my parents pass away, I can't see us staying in this country. Maybe Norway or Sweden. They seem to have their shit together.

My SIL and BIL are moving here next month from South Korea. (Given how fucken crazy North Korea is, I totally agree with their decision!)

slightlyperfect

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Our family is so fortunate that DH works for the Dept. of State and we get to move from country to country every two or three years.  I so agree with you that one needs to live in a country to truly get the experience.  Being a tourist does not give you that insight into local culture.  Surprisingly, our favorite places to live have been "third world" and our least favorite have been tourist hot spots.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)