Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

brown people

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
My dd is in kindergarten and has two kids in her class that are black. Bit the kids told her they are called brown people, not black. Are others gonna get offended if she calls them brown?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM
13 moms liked this
My children who are black ages 5&6 say they are brown. It's really just a common sense thing. Obviously black people are not literally black. Children just say the obvious. It's silly to them to call someone who is obviously NOT the black they see in their crayon box, black.

Most children that age call black people "brown". It's normal.

Now, Your job is to teach her that she shouldn't be calling them "brown people" either... But she should be calling them by their names, as the color of their skin isn't important.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM

How old is your dd? the other kids?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM
They are 6

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM

And this is the problem that comes with having black kids in a predominantly white classroom. Some of the white parents have NO IDEA how to teach their kids to be COLOR BLIND.  

Quoting Anonymous:

My children who are black ages 5&6 say they are brown. It's really just a common sense thing. Obviously black people are not literally black. Children just say the obvious. It's silly to them to call someone who is obviously NOT the black they see in their crayon box, black.

Now, Your job is to teach her that she shouldn't be calling them "brown people" either... But she should be calling them by their names, as the color of their skin isn't important.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be letting all the kids know that they don't need to be calling anyone "brown people" or "white people" or "black people" We don't need to label people by color, size or anything else that makes up there physical appearance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Teach your kids how NOT to focus on the color of their skin. That's the BEST solution to the problem.  

Quoting Anonymous:

They are 6

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM
there are some "black" people out there
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
This. Your children and the "brown" children should all just be seeing children and for who they are, not what they are.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would be letting all the kids know that they don't need to be calling anyone "brown people" or "white people" or "black people" We don't need to label people by color, size or anything else that makes up there physical appearance.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Well the conversation started because my daughter wanted to know why they were calling her white girl. She had never heard that before.

Quoting Anonymous:

And this is the problem that comes with having black kids in a predominantly white classroom. Some of the white parents have NO IDEA how to teach their kids to be COLOR BLIND.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM

why not just call them by their names?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)