Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

brown people

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dd is in kindergarten and has two kids in her class that are black. Bit the kids told her they are called brown people, not black. Are others gonna get offended if she calls them brown?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh for crying out loud they are 5&6....when my son started Kindergarten he called a little boy, "brown boy" because he didnt know his name...he couldn't remember it. My nephew is black and my son has never called him "brown boy." It has nothing to do with with me not teaching him not to be COLOR BLIND. Stop being a douche. 

Quoting Anonymous:

And this is the problem that comes with having black kids in a predominantly white classroom. Some of the white parents have NO IDEA how to teach their kids to be COLOR BLIND.  

Quoting Anonymous:

My children who are black ages 5&6 say they are brown. It's really just a common sense thing. Obviously black people are not literally black. Children just say the obvious. It's silly to them to call someone who is obviously NOT the black they see in their crayon box, black.

Most children that age call black people "brown". It's normal.

Now, Your job is to teach her that she shouldn't be calling them "brown people" either... But she should be calling them by their names, as the color of their skin isn't important.

supercarp
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Why does she have to call them anything? One of my daughters is extremely fair (she says if her legs were any whiter they'd be clear) and no one calls her white and her friends off-white.

la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I think adults widely over think race issues. She sees the color brown and calls it brown, end of story. Don't make it bigger than it is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd IS "brown". Shes biracial. But she points out skin color when talking about someone whos name she doesnt know. Why? Because its a distinguishing characteristic. Shes 5, and the youngest in her class. Its not just black people she does it with. Its all people, white, tan, brown, etc.

Its not her not being "color blind". Its just a way she can describe someone. "The white boy in the blue shirt with red hair". "The other brown girl."

We are Muslim, and she gets excited seeing another Muslim female. "MOMMY! THAT WHITE/BROWN LADY WEARS A SCARF ON HER HEAD LIKE YOU USED TO!"

Quoting Anonymous:

And this is the problem that comes with having black kids in a predominantly white classroom. Some of the white parents have NO IDEA how to teach their kids to be COLOR BLIND.  

Quoting Anonymous:

My children who are black ages 5&6 say they are brown. It's really just a common sense thing. Obviously black people are not literally black. Children just say the obvious. It's silly to them to call someone who is obviously NOT the black they see in their crayon box, black.

Now, Your job is to teach her that she shouldn't be calling them "brown people" either... But she should be calling them by their names, as the color of their skin isn't important.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Why did they bring it up? Did your kid call them black and and they corrected her?

Tell her to call them by their names.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The first time my daughter ever referred to a black child she said to me "the girl with the brown skin".  It makes sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:31 AM

really?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the conversation started because my daughter wanted to know why they were calling her white girl. She had never heard that before.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Yeah, really. It's not like I walk around calling her white girl. Wtf

Quoting Anonymous:

really?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the conversation started because my daughter wanted to know why they were calling her white girl. She had never heard that before.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

At 5-6 kids noticed things that are different about others. Lets not make everything about race.  Notice how no one said anything about op's daughter being called white girl.  

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

My children prefer to be called brown.  In their mind, they are brown, why call them black?  I doubt anybody would be offended.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)