Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is a husband required to pay for a lawyer?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

For his wife (who had been a SAHM)  if they are getting divorced? She wants to make sure she won't be getting screwed, so she wants one herself. Does he have to pay? They are in MI, if anyone knows. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Replies (31-37):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I don't know. I found the cure to divorce....................NEVER get married.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Yes. I believe you have to go to court and request it. I'm not sure on the stipulations though.

In my state anyway...
PA
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I'm from MI, she has to pay for her own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Her best bet is to call legal aid or a local attorney to see if she qualifies for a pro-bono lawyer.
Luna091306
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Lol Yeah the judge pretty much laughed at them too. At one point dh got behind on child support due to a job loss and her attorney automatically tried to press criminal charges against him. She was filling out some sort of form in front of the judge and the judge stopped her and said something like "this is not a criminal case. no one is going to jail today." He ordered dh to pay on the arrears each month. Her lawyer tried to pull all kinds of crap including insisting dh had left them without a vehicle for months. I have no clue where she even got that. Dh let her have their vehicle until she bought another and then he took over the original because SHE didn't want the payments. Crazy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh's ex tried to take us back to court for contempt that we weren't even doing and after the judge told her we were not guilty of what she accused us of she still had the balls to ask for us to pay her legal fees. The judge straight up laughed at her and her atty. He told them that she was lucky he didn't make HER pay our fees since she wasted his time with made up bogus contempt charges. He did however tell her that if she tried to pull this bs again she would have to pay.

Quoting Luna091306:

I believe in our state it's whoever has the ability to pay. Not sure. I was just happy dh didn't have to pay the 5k they were requesting for attorney fees. He could barely afford his own. Crazy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Usually not, most states are no fault divorces. So unless she can prove he was at fault, abusive, adultery (reallllly hard to prove, as most judges do not care, etc) then no. The only time one party has to pay for another party's fees, is if its found they're at fault for the situation.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM
No, because a lawyer isn't required.
jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

She will have to get her own attorney but ask that he pays for her legal fees in court, I believe. That's how it works in TX anyway. In my area, the judge almost always grants this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)