Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do I need to put my dog down? Eta pic page 3***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
I'm really torn about this but I have a 9 year old dog and I'm debating having him put to sleep but I feel so guilty. Here is the reason, he has severe allergies. I'm talking having to do an allergy panel and buy special expensive food allergies, losing all his fur, eyes crusted shut, stinky dog. It used to be seasonal between July-October but here it is February and I have clumps of fur all over and a smelly house. The get suggests Benadryl and a steroid but I can not afford to keep doing this if it is now an all year thing! He really looks pathetic the bare spots look like leather and are hot to the touch. I can't even touch him without him yelping and he is getting testy with my 3 and 4 year old. In the past few months I have also noticed him pissing on things in the house like the Christmas tree right in front of everyone!!! I just don't know what to do. What would you do?

Added pic page 3 *****
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I was unaware Benadryl and Steroids were that expensive...  I would maybe look at finding him a home with someone who can afford the meds. 

Bianca008
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I honestly would put him down. He's not living a good life, sounds like he is suffering. Do not feel guilty, you are doing something from the heart and that is never wrong.

Kellyjude1
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I would talk to a vet and let them tell you what they feel is best for the dog.  Sounds like such a sad situation.  The fact the dog may be in pain would definitely be worth talking to the expert and finding out if there is anymore you can do.  So sorry....

NNB
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I don't know, it's really your call, you knopw how uncomfortable the dog is. Just watch the kiddies, if he gets too snappy then i would seriously consider it. Good luck

MommySally
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Some vet clinics will have the nurses take dogs that are sick and take them home and take care of them. Maybe ask your vet if anyone in the clinic would want your dog because you can't put him down with a good conscience and am getting to the point where you can't keep up with him. Good luck and I pray for the best for your dog

CookieMom108
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Aww.  Sounds like the quality of his life isn't so great with the medical issues he is having.  I know the steroids can get expensive if they're on them continually, our dog has had a few rounds in the past couple of months.  Can you make an appt just to talk to your vet, like a consultation but not being charged an office visit?  That way you can discuss the situation with him and get his input.  Goodluck, our Barney is 9 and I can't imagine going through that but I know we will someday soon.

gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

You can buy Benadryl at Wal-Mart for $4.00 for 100 of them.  If I had this pet, I think I would try that first for a couple weeks and see if it helps.  If it doesn't, I would probably (and I don't say this lightly) put him down.  Only because it sounds like he's pretty miserable if you can't touch him w/o him yelping.  I wouldn't want to watch one of my dogs suffer like that.

slw123
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Find a home for him with someone who is willing to take proper care of him.  If it was your child, you would do the right thing for him, why not a pet? 

Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I would talk to the vet and see what they said.
However I wouldn't put the dog down without first finding other options. There's even rescues out there that cater to older dogs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funny_girl3
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I would put him down.  He is older and uncomfortable and the chances of finding an owner willing to take on the burden of his medical costs are not good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)